The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gasket sealants and adhesives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gasket sealants and adhesives
    Posted: 21-January-2011 at 9:14AM
So, over the years I have used a variety of gasket sealers, makers and adhesives.

Never have figured out what should go with what.

Now that I will be tearing into my pickup tomorrow, what sorts of gasketing products should I actually be using?

1.  Head gaskets - I know this is typically "nothing", but Carl had mentioned use of Copper Spray, and I see from Permatex's website that it can also be used for exhaust manifold gaskets.

2.  Intake Manifold gasket - Ultra Blue? Ultra Copper? Other?

3.  Most other gaskets (valve cover, water pump, timing chain cover, etc) - Ultra Blue?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 10:03AM
Some of you might think I am nuts but I have been using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive yellow for many years. The only spot I wont use it is if you leave the intake end gaskets OUT and just use a bead. It is common to just use a bead of sealer as an end gaskets cause most people cant get the gaskets to seal. Well I know how to get them to seal so I use the 3M on all gaskets. One word of caution though is this stuff worked so well on the motor I just pulled out of my Torino that I had to use pry bars on the intake and valve covers cause they were glued so well. I never get a leak with the stuff and if you don't plan to be taking it apart for many years down the road this is what I recommend. Big smile
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 11:46AM
Ultra copper spray for the Head gaskets and YES you can use it on the exhaust manifolds too.

I use Ultra Blue on everything else.

3M Yellow Weatherstrip adhesive is THE GREATEST GOOP ON EARTH!
Use it to glue your valve cover gaskets to the valve cover so it doesn't slip out. Ilyes has a picture of his rockers and you can see his valve cover gasket is squished out. ALSO use it to hold front and rear intake gasket cork piece in place I use it on BOTH sides of that cork gasket! Then your little glob of ultra blue in the corners. The 3M also works GREAT to seal the thermostat gasket to the housing or the intake in order to hold the thermostat in place for those that are hard to get at. I use a couple dobs of it on the thermostat to hold it in place too. Oil Pan and Tranny pans are another great place for the 3M to be used. 3M also helps hold seals in place, front and rear mains.

I like to use the Ultra Blue on seals too (either or). Ultra blue on the freeze plugs, oil dipstick tube, water pumps, timing chain cover etc... I use it EVERYWHERE! a VERY THIN skim coat just so it does not squish out and show when you tighten things down.
Also great for the bolts that go through in to the water jacket.

EXTREME PATIENCE to keep it all clean looking without globs oozing out after you tighten it all down.

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 21-January-2011 at 11:47AM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 11:52AM
i don't use silicone on anything fuel related, gas disolves RTV,

don't like the head gaskets with the little beads of sealer already applied either

IMO spray copper is cheap insurance but just a light misting, not so much it'll squeeze

never use the intake end seals, unless you're doing a 'quick swap' install where you want the intake to come off clean. this method uses grease, vaseline or anti-seize on the top sides of the intake gaskets for an intake test sesion or race application. or if you just like to swap intakes a lot

for a permanent valve cover install use RTV only with no gasket

a gasket with wet silicone on it will get squeezed out if you try to tighten it

i like the Aviation Indian Head shellac, or just regular is good too

Edited by Rockatansky - 21-January-2011 at 11:56AM
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 12:21PM
For headgaskets I tend to put them on dry, except in the case where they are reusable mls gaskets such as cometic. Then i spray both sides equally with a copper silicone type spray from the dodge dealer.

When I use rtv. I pretty much rely soley on permatex "the right stuff"

79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
 Post Reply Post Reply