The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 GTS repair panels/pans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 GTS repair panels/pans?
    Posted: 11-November-2003 at 9:21PM

I am interested in finding Quarter Panels, Trunk Pan, and complete Floor Pans for a 73 GTS Fastback. 

I've seen the Quarters in Dearborn Classics, Autocrafters, and JC Whitney.  However, I haven't found Trunk Pans or Floor Pans.  At Least, I haven't found them with an online search.  So, where would be the best place to find these latter panels? 

Also, the JC Whitney Quarters are $99, the Autocrafters are $250, and the Dearsborn's are $300.  They all say that they are 20 gauge steel.  Any difference in quality on the JC Whitney Quarters?  Anyone installed these before?

As someone who loves to hang out at my favorite restoration shop and watch and help, I've seen some of the Quarters put out for Mustangs and Camaro's.  There is a wide range of quality, with NOS always fitting the best.  Other panels can be installed, but take an above average installer to end up with something nice.  So, how do the JC Whitney panels look installed?

I've seen Mustangs and Camaro's come in and need ALL panels replaced.  Basically, these cars had very little left of their original bodies, since rust has eaten big holes everywhere.  However, I've seen these same cars when finished and there is absolutely no sign anywhere of there ever being any rust damage.  And this was accomplished with metal not bondo.  Plus, even experts cannot tell with ease that all the panels and pans have been replaced.

The Trunk Pans and Floor Pans are pretty easy to install and come out with a final product which looks like original panels.  With the full Floor Pans and the full Trunk Pans, it just takes patience to install them properly.  

JSTurner
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2003 at 7:00PM
I can't speak from personal experience as to the fit of various aftermarket quarter skins, but I HAVE seen them installed on a few Torinos belonging to other guys. As a rule they are very close to OEM lines, but there are minor deviations at the wheel well lip, such that the lip molding may need minor tweeking to fit 100%. Other than that, just understand that the aftermarket stuff is cut in at the top "eyebrow" crown on the quarter, and is not a true quarter panel which actually seams in on the sail panel.
With that said, I'm not sure how many sources actually stamp those skins, and maybe many of the aftermarket vendors get their stuff from the same place. They just mark them up differently to suit their own business needs. I DO know that "Sherman & Associates" (a large supplier to the auto repair business) in Michigan lists these repair skins, and at more favorable pricing than AutoKrafters or Dearborn. You can find them at:

http://www.shermanparts.com/

As for floor pans and such, to the best of my knowledge you're stuck with finding them only as salvage pieces. A source that has developed a good following is "Blue Oval", and you'll find them listed below:

http://blueoval6079.com/

Good luck,

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
jstur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2003 at 9:06PM

Thanks, Kevin.  Sounds like JC Whitney may have the best deal at $99.  As you say, they may all be purchasing their inventory from the same vendor, anyway.

JSTurner
 Post Reply Post Reply