The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator Fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Fault
    Posted: 11-January-2014 at 2:30AM
Can anybody help. My voltage regulator went down and killed my alternator. Fitted a new alternator and regulator but will not charge . So I had the alternator checked and it is working fine. Fitted a second regulator still no joy. Can any body please help. The car is a 1972  351  montego.

Many Thanks
   Adrian
1972 Mercury Montego gt
1995 z28
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2014 at 8:35AM
You will need to check the yellow (hope that is the right one) wire going to the regulator to see if you have voltage when the ignition is on. If you have no voltage the regulator will not "turn on" on the alternator will not charge the battery. I would also check to make sure the regulator is mounted and "grounded" or the same this will happen.
Red 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2014 at 7:49PM
Thanks for the reply Dan will check today.
1972 Mercury Montego gt
1995 z28
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2014 at 8:36PM
Yeah, check all of your wiring, maybe some melted and are touching?
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
Red 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2014 at 11:46PM
Checked the yellow wire to the regulator box and it is live with or without the ignition on. this is the alternator I have only have wires to field and battery
1972 Mercury Montego gt
1995 z28
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2014 at 1:10AM
Red 72, if you have regular gauges/lights(not a performance cluster with tach) you should have a green wire w/ red stripe going to the "I" terminal of the voltage regulator. When the ignition is switched on there should be battery voltage on this wire/"I" terminal. If you have the performance cluster, when the ignition is on you should have battery voltage on the "S" terminal of the voltage regulator, also uses the same green w/red stripe wire. The yellow wire should have battery voltage at all times like you previously found. Here are some images that may help.

Hopefully these will assist you in finding your problem. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 12-January-2014 at 1:11AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Red 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2014 at 3:10AM
Can you help
  I have 12v at the "S" terminal when the plug is off the regulator but when I connect the plug to the regulator it drops down to 1.17v .

Adrian
1972 Mercury Montego gt
1995 z28
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2014 at 5:46AM
Adrian,
First, a few ?'s. Do you have an ammeter gauge or light? Is there 12volts on the "S" terminal with the ignition switch on, or all the time? Have you found the green/red stripe wire and which terminal was it connected to? Is the VR(voltage regulator) grounded good, the VR's body is grounded when you install the two mounting bolts/screws. When you check for voltage at the VR plug, what terminals have power with ignition on and when the ignition if off? Make sure you have a good ground wire from battery to engine block, make sure the alternator is grounded good(may want to have a dedicated ground wire attached to the rear of the alternator's case instead of relying on the large bolt and spacer to make up the ground path for the alternator to the engine block). I realize electrical bugs are sometimes a real pain, but it usually boils down to something simple and/or overlooked. Good luck and keep us posted. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 14-January-2014 at 12:54PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2014 at 12:34PM
Helpful hint: If you are/have restored a car and have "painted evrything" Make sure that the paint in not insulating your grounds (i.e. voltage regulator body) Been there done that!

Todd: Thanks for pointing out the right color wire for the VR switched connection. Been a while since I have had to check one. Dan
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2014 at 1:05PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

Helpful hint: If you are/have restored a car and have "painted evrything" Make sure that the paint in not insulating your grounds (i.e. voltage regulator body) Been there done that!

Todd: Thanks for pointing out the right color wire for the VR switched connection. Been a while since I have had to check one. Dan

Dan,
You are very welcome, always glad to help if possible. Good tip on the paint, I have been guilty of doing that.....once . BTW, how is that little PMGR starter working out for you? Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2014 at 9:55PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

Dan,
You are very welcome, always glad to help if possible. Good tip on the paint, I have been guilty of doing that.....once . BTW, how is that little PMGR starter working out for you? Todd
The starter is working great so far.
Red 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2014 at 5:54PM
Well found the fault. It was the wire to the  "S" terminal was braking down so I jumped a wire across from the battery and it started charging.Will it be ok to run a wire strait from the ignition switch to the  "S" terminal .Clap
1972 Mercury Montego gt
1995 z28
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2014 at 10:32PM
Originally posted by Red 72 Red 72 wrote:

Well found the fault. It was the wire to the  "S" terminal was braking down so I jumped a wire across from the battery and it started charging.Will it be ok to run a wire strait from the ignition switch to the  "S" terminal .Clap

That will work until you get the "S" terminal wire figured out/replaced. I would at least use an inline fuse/fuseholder (w/ 7.5-10 amp fuse) in your new wire running from the ignition to voltage regulator, near the ignition switch though. You may also want it to be easily accessible in case the fuse blows. Glad to hear you found the issue. Todd

Red 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2014 at 11:08PM
Thanks for all your help Todd.

Adrian
1972 Mercury Montego gt
1995 z28
 Post Reply Post Reply