The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

67 falcon quick ratio steering box?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 falcon quick ratio steering box?
    Posted: 15-March-2014 at 5:46PM
Hey guys, I like the way my falcon drives so far other than how I have to turn the steering wheel ALOT to make a corner.....so I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on company's that make quick ratio steering boxes. I'd like I guess the highest ratio possible, and it currently has a manual box. Thanks in advance guys.
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 3:00AM
The power steering that was available on the falcon was a power assisted system with an external ram and a control valve on the centerlink that the pitman arm connected to. I would look to see if anyone is making integrated power steering systems for the 67-70 mustang/cougar.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 12:20PM
Yeah, that factory type PS setup is a real mess. I have it on my '68 Cougar. Rack and Pinion setup is the way to go. Better feel and much better packaging, but it is costly.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 12:39PM
There are companies making an integrated steering conversion. They aren't cheap, but by the time you price all the parts to add power assist, (change the steering box($$$), add pump and hoses, a control valve($$$), center link, the ram itself($$$),  and any other power assist parts), the conversion box is a bargain.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 2:52PM
If you don't mind staying with manual steering you should have lots of options. I'm pretty sure a Mustang box will fit. Flaming River (?) for one makes quick ratio boxes for them. Manual steering isn't bad anyway with a light car.
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 2:56PM
Thanks.....it's not that it's hard to turn or anything, I just have to turn the wheel a lot to make a turn, and It has a pretty big steering wheel.
~Bryan
67falcon
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 2:57PM
So a 67 mustang box will fit a falcon??
~Bryan
67falcon
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2014 at 3:09PM
A power steering box will fit and work (faster ratio) without the ram assist, but it takes more turning effort. It won't hurt the box as the power assist doesn't go thru the steering box.
Be careful with steering boxes, earlier boxes had the steering column shaft built in (no rag joint), late 66 to 67 started rag joints without a collapsing steering column, and 68 started collapsing steering columns. All of these issues affect box fitment. Sector shafts also change diameter somewhere in this timeframe, and if you use a power box without the ram, use a pitman arm for a manual box, as the control valve changes the shape of the pitman arm
Maverick, fairlane and granada all use the same type of steering, as well as mustang 66-70.
71-73 mustangs use an integrated box like a 72-76 torino
Randy
1979 T-Bird
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2014 at 2:22AM
Find a newer Granada setup (if you can and want PS). Otherwise, go with a manual box. Bender had manual steering and it was a breeze. Bender was also a light Falcon with a 6. My red wagon has manual steering also, and it is far more difficult. Driveable, but not pleasurable because of the effort required while sitting still, 55 series tires and number of turns lock to lock.

Manual on your car should be fine and far less troublesome.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply