The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Compressor problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Compressor problems
    Posted: 14-April-2014 at 12:34PM
I'm in the middle of a front suspension rebuild, on my Montego wagon.  I'm attempting to use an Air Chisel to cut through the ball joint rivets, on the upper control arms, but am not having much luck.  Not sure if it's my compressor, or my air chisel.  My compressor is a 5hp, 20 gallon DeVilbiss from Home Depot.  It's probably at least 10 years old.  The air chisel worked OK last year when I used it for the same thing on my LTD II.  But, it was a slow process.  Maybe that was due to cheap chisels??
Now, the chisel will work some, but mostly, when I pull the trigger, it's just blowing air out the front of it.  On my compressor, the regulator gauge says I've got 90 psi.  And the tank gauge says I've got 120 psi. 

Any input is greatly appreciated.  I know nothing about compressors, or where to start.  But, now I'm stuck.  I wanna drive my wagon!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 12:48PM
Sounds like the air chisel needs lubrication with some air tool oil.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 2:20PM
x2 on the oil
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 3:58PM
X3. Pop it off the hose, and put in about 4 good drops of air tool oil. Then hook it back up. It'll be a bit messy, but that should clear out the water and get things moving again. Might require a little "persuasion".

Also, running a high air volume tool like that causes the compressor to really work hard. That, in turn, produces more water. Periodically drain the tank and use a water separator on the line. Water and lack of oil will really mess up an air tool.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 4:26PM
Also make sure the barrel of the air chisel is threaded tightly into the trigger housing. We use our air chisel to clear concrete debris from our lift points when we install our boat ramps, periodically the barrel will loosen and the tool refuses to work. Good luck. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 12:02AM
x4 on the oil, which should be daily with use at a min. Make sure you use a good quality oil too, not 10W40 from the shelf.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 12:34AM
Thanks guys!  I had added oil when I first started.  I did use air tool oil.  I also drained the tank last night.  I hadn't drained it in a while.  But, that didn't seem to help.  I'll add more oil, and see how it does.  Thanks, again.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 5:40AM
It could possibly be the air chisel itself.
I have both a Cobalt and a Ingersoll Rand. The Cobalt wouldn't cut through rivets. So I bought a IR. The IR chisel really breaks them pretty quickly. 

Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 11:30AM
sounds like it's the air chisel. i used a 4" makita grinder to remove mine, ground the heads off then used a pin punch to knock the rivets out.

Edited by californiajohnny - 15-April-2014 at 11:31AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 4:05PM
My cheapo Sears Craftsman air chisel/rivet gun works pretty good too.
 Post Reply Post Reply