The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC on a budget?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC on a budget?
    Posted: 01-July-2014 at 5:44AM
Is it possible to piece together an AC unit/components to add to my truck? In decifering the tag on my trans, it tells me that my engine and trans are out of a 76 Gran Torino. So I guess I could get the brackets/ compressor/ condensor...off of a salvage yard car. But I guess there are different couplings and fittings needed to switch it over to the R134 freon???

Has anyone else out there switched their freon over or what does everyone do about keeping their AC charged?
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2014 at 7:11AM
JT, the factory A/C on the Bumpsides has the compressor, condenser, and lines in the engine compartment. Everything else is in/under the dash. A/C trucks take different heater cores, hose routing, and glove compartments as well.

So...

I would use a Sanden compressor with good bracketry, late model condenser, fresh lines and an under dash unit. There is not a lot of space between the dash and firewall in those trucks, so the more you have under the dash, the better.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2014 at 2:13PM
if you got all the a/c truck parts you can get adapters for the new r134 i did it on my s10 blazer
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2014 at 1:54AM
The original A/C units were marginal at best. My '68 has factory air and it would freeze the kneecaps of the passenger and barely get to the driver (every vent is on the passenger side). Some simple plumbing, a good under dash unit and modern parts will freeze you out.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ninja 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2015 at 8:46PM
Has anyone tried using another box from another car or make? I personally don't have the funds for a Vintage air, and the work involved to convert non Air to Air with factory parts is alot of work plus there is that huge box in the engine compartment..I have been toying the idea with using something maybe out of a Import or even out of a late 80's cougar..What has anyone else tried?
va2ir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va2ir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2016 at 7:08AM
I have a 73 Torino. I played with an underdash unit, but it was real ugly.  I found a "behind the dash" unit with 4 round outputs, and I removed the cardboard of the glovebox to make some room.  I am running a sanden 508 compressor, with an original condensor, new dryer and the behind the dash evap unit.  Using R134. No issues.  But those cars heat up like an oven. To help things, I added some insulation, and installed some clear UVA90 film - which blocks the solar heat, but is not tinted.  still needing more airflow, I got a couple of 3" inline blower fans, which make a huge difference.  The unit blows 40 degree air easily. Oh, and my rad fan is a Lincoln Mark 8 electric fan. You may need to upgrade your alternator as well.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2016 at 9:32AM
The biggest issues with retrofitting an A/C system for use with 134a is the POA valve, the condenser and possibly the hoses need to be upgraded to barrier hoses for use with 134a. The original system using the POA/STV, varied the pressures internally through this valve along with an expansion valve and when the A/C was on IT WAS ON, not like the 134a system retrofit that removes the POA and substitutes it with a cycling switch/valve. The original compressor(York/Tecumseh or A6) or rather it's clutch WILL NOT tolerate the cycling switch's action of switching the power to the clutch on-off-on-off like the newer designed clutches will. If a cycling switch is to be employed an aftermarket compressor/different designed compressor-clutch should be considered. One style of POA can be adjusted for 134a use so a newer style cycling switch doesn't HAVE to be installed which allows an original style of compressor/clutch can be retained. The tube/fin condenser really works well with R12 but it needs to be removed and a newer design parallel flow condenser should be installed to get the best overall A/C system efficiency and cooling when 134a is used. There are those that will tell you they have retrofitted 134a in place of R12 and it cools fine, but I have almost always found it to be a compromise-a readily available Freon but with higher vent temps when at MAX cool.  I just upgraded my A/C system in my Ranchero using an aftermarket A6 and recharged with R12, using NOS condenser/new drier, original POA with new expansion valve,center vent temps are right at 34 degrees when it's 95 outside. I have NEVER heard or have it verified where a partial retrofit 134a system was cooling to these temps. Change the condenser-cycling switch-compressor and to newer barrier hoses and I bet you will see great performance from a 134a retrofit system, leave one or more of these as the R12 system had and you won't get as cold/comfortable as you could. Do it right the first time and it will save you lots of grief. Sorry for the long reply.

Edited by aquartlow - 08-August-2016 at 9:33AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2016 at 12:28PM
I converted my 91 F150 to 134a. Vent temps were in the mid 40s, adequate for a pickup's small cab, but only adequate.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply