The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car cover recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car cover recommendations?
    Posted: 07-September-2014 at 5:49PM
Looking for a car cover for a garage kept car. It is an older Plymouth and has some value. The garage is an attached garage so it is not freezing.

The intent is one of those nice light weight covers people put on their corvettes or something that is not intended to protect fom outside elements but just cover the car from view and protect from dust.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 5:55PM
The lowest cost car covers are the plastic ones. But they do come in many different thicknesses and sizes. They will certainly keep the car clean from dust and dirt.
Since this cover is made from a semi-clear plastic, it will not completely cover the car from view. To see one Click Here.

You will also have to find out which cover is the correct size for your vehicle. I would think that it would be a large sized cover though, like almost the same size that you would put on a late model crown victoria. But it does not have to be as large and as long down on the sides of the vehicle, as a car cover from a lincoln navigator or a gmc denali sized car cover. This type would be considered a tall car cover too. And it will not have to be as long from the front of the car to the back of the car as a cover that was made for a stretch limousine.

Many of the sellers have a year, make and model search function in their advertisements. So you can type in your vehicle's information and you can choose the correct size for your vehicle.

Edited by dave302 - 07-September-2014 at 6:39PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 6:04PM
There are also the thicker car covers that will keep the car out of view. These covers are available in many different sizes, thicknesses and materials.
You will have to find out exactly which size, thickness and material is best for your car. To see one Click Here.

There are also darker colored car covers available.

This next cover will fit a vehicle that measures 217 inches to 238 inches in length. It might also be a good idea to measure your vehicle if you do not know the measurements, because this seller (and some other sellers) do not have a vehicle compatability search function. To see this cover Click Here.

Sometimes you can get an outdoor car cover for the same price as an indoor car cover. An outdoor cover would be good for if you have to leave the vehicle outdoors for some reason.

Or you can post the measurements here and i will try to find one for you. Please state the color and material that you are looking for.

Since there might not be an "100% exact perfect fit" available for your exact vehicle, you should probably mention if you would prefer a semi-tight fitting cover or a looser type of fitting cover.

Edited by dave302 - 07-September-2014 at 8:33PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 7:03PM
scott, this is the one i got for my vette, it's cheap, good for indoors for dust, it's material is like a windbreaker jacket, the thing i do like about it is it has elastic all the way around the bottom!
 it's funny you posted about a car cover, i was just thinking about getting a cover for my torino! just minutes ago, to keep dust off of the new paint.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette/product/car-cover-semi-custom-fit-blue-638504-1
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 7:09PM
This next seller is advertising a cover for vehicle that is possibly similar to yours. To see it Click Here.
There are also other sellers who have covers that they guarantee will fit your vehicle. But they are higher priced and the cost more than you are probably are willing to spend.

It is similar to them charging you an extra $40.00 to $50.00 for taking all of the measurements and making all of the alterations to the cover.

Also, the quality of many these covers are probably way too expensive for your needs. To see one Click Here.

Edited by dave302 - 07-September-2014 at 7:29PM
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 5:16AM
It is for a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Mod Top, so I am not looking for the cheapest cover available - just trying to keep dust off of it, and eyes off of it when it is parked in the garage.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 5:34AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

This next seller is advertising a cover for vehicle that is possibly similar to yours. To see it <a href="http://www.carscover.com/1966-Chrysler-Newport-2-Door-Premiumshield-Plus-Car-Cover-P138-SP8783.html?gclid=CMXt4NT40MACFVJo7Aod7B0ALw" rel="nofollow">Click Here.
</a>
There are also other sellers who have covers that they guarantee will fit your vehicle. But they are higher priced and the cost more than you are probably are willing to spend.

It is similar to them charging you an extra $40.00 to $50.00 for taking all of the measurements and making all of the alterations to the cover.

Also, the quality of many these covers are probably way too expensive for your needs. To see one <a href="http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/covercraft_semi-custom_fit_multibond-fs-block-it_200_ready-fit-and-reg__outdoor_car_cover/covca6679/covercraftc59c40006rb-.aspx#" rel="nofollow">Click Here.</a>

Probably in the neighborhood of what I am looking for. I took a look at the "blackshield" super expensive cover. Nice, would protect the original paint, but I am concerned about a tight black sexy cover on it - I am trying to hide it not advertise it.

The car is my grandmother's (not with us anymore) and was purchased brand new at the same dealership as my grandfathers Chrysler 300 (which I now own). It is at my mother's house, and she does not appreciate people coming by looking to buy it. You sort of worry about someone wanting to steal it, also...
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 5:36AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

scott, this is the one i got for my vette, it's cheap, good for indoors for dust, it's material is like a windbreaker jacket, the thing i do like about it is it has elastic all the way around the bottom!
 it's funny you posted about a car cover, i was just thinking about getting a cover for my torino! just minutes ago, to keep dust off of the new paint.
<a href="http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette/product/car-cover-semi-custom-fit-blue-638504-1" rel="nofollow">http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette/product/car-cover-semi-custom-fit-blue-638504-1</a>

These look really nice. Only for Corvette's though, but along the right lines from what I can see.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 8:33AM
MOD TOP!!!
Paisley hippie wonderful!!!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 9:06AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

MOD TOP!!!
Paisley hippie wonderful!!!

Yes it is! Yellow at that.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 10:02AM
Pix?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 11:39AM
These next car covers start out up at the top of the page with lower prices and thinner lower cost materials. Then as you scroll down the page the quality of the covers goes up and so does the prices. To see them Click Here.

These next covers start out more expensive up at the top of the page and then as you scroll down the page the lower cost car covers come up. To see them Click Here.

To see more covers Click Here.

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 11:53AM

To another cover Click Here.

To see more covers click here.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 12:13PM

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 12:25PM
To another cover click here.

To see more covers click here.

To see another one click here.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 1:09PM

California car cover company, think about how much you have invested in your car! that all I have to say.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 11:49PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

California car cover company, think about how much you have invested in your car! that all I have to say.

To see these car covers click here.
You will have to choose the cars make, model and year from the menu. And then you will have to choose the color of the cover that you want.

They might also ask you if the car has a passenger side rear view mirror installed on it.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 2:08AM
I bought a few cheapo covers at Big Lots for mine that sit indoors. I wanted something that would cover it from view, breathe, and not tuck up tight underneath (to disguise the actual shape). Think I paid around $30-$40 for them. Non-scratch, like a windbreaker, elastic around the bottom, but not enough to tuck a lot. Being indoors, there is far less chance of wind blowing it around, and the "semi-tuck" allows me to sweep underneath, and allow plenty of air circulation to hinder moisture buildup from temp changes. I had one on my '75 Stingray (anyone could tell what that was), have one on my '68 Cougar and the '76 Torino. No way to tell what they are. Also have had them on other vehicles and they never gave away what was being hidden. They are off-white and very light weight. I have the boxes they were in, but Big Lots changes merchandise so often, I don't know if they are still available.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 3:35AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I bought a few cheapo covers at Big Lots, but Big Lots changes merchandise so often, I don't know if they are still available.
Unfortunately, it appears that they had sold every last one of those car covers that they had for sale. They do not appear to be available from Big Lots anymore.
I do not see big lots advertising any other car covers for sale at this time.

You can see one of the older advertisements for this item if you click here.

To see another older advertisement for this item click here.

Edited by dave302 - 09-September-2014 at 3:35AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 3:45AM
To see more covers for sale  click here.

You can scroll down and look on the left side of the page, to choose your preferred price range and to choose the color(s) that you are interested in.

Edited by dave302 - 09-September-2014 at 3:45AM
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 3:49AM
Since we are talking car covers I wanted to ask what you guys do that I don't in the winter or even when big temp changes my cars and covers are wet.I called California Covers and he said without a climate controlled garage I would not get away from that.He recommended just leaving them uncovered and washing the dirt off in the summer,but it sucks.Any advise?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 4:09AM
The most important necessities of a good cover are breathability, and being as non-abrasive as possible. UV protection, security, ease of installation and removal, and durability are secondary concerns.

If it breathes correctly, non-abrasive, and it is not installed over a dirty car, then yes, it is far better than leaving the car uncovered.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 5:42AM
To see some Universal Fit covers click here.

To see some Custom Fit covers  click here.

Edited by dave302 - 09-September-2014 at 5:45AM
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 6:22AM
The ones I got were bought at Wal-Mart or K-Mart they are almost see thru so I would think they breath ok but when the temp goes up and down I get condensation on the cars.When you lift the cover the car is wet.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 11:09PM
This next seller lists many covers in many different brands, materials and sizes. It would be good if you know the exact size (in length, height and width) of the cover that you are looking for. Since there is no way to narrow the search for a vehicle specific cover or specific size with this seller.

To see them click here.

Edited by dave302 - 09-September-2014 at 11:12PM
 Post Reply Post Reply