The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type of wax do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclone21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of wax do you use?
    Posted: 29-September-2014 at 2:01PM
First, I have not “waxed” a car or bought “wax” in a long time. There will be a big car show this weekend and I would like to get it shined up. What is a good product that I can put on by hand and finish by hand? I am looking for something that will not leave a film on the chrome or stripes. What type of surface treatment do you use?
68 Cyclone GT 390 S-code Red bucket seats
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 2:26PM
years ago i used a product called liquid crystal, that stuff was awesome! but it's not available anymoreAngry nufinish is vaguely similar, works ok, cheap too. lately i've used lucas slick mist, it works pretty good, more of a quick detailer, but works good and is fast and easy. another tip that i use is for those fresh bugs picked up on the way to the show-- foaming glass cleaner in a metal spray can, spray it on the bugs and wipe 'em off guts and all Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 3:28PM
I use three different systems depending on circumstances.

Once a year (usually in spring after a winter) I usually clay bar and use this Mothers polishing system. It cam in a kit and works really good.

Approximately once a month, I hand wax with some great stuff from Meguiars

And for quick detailing and touch up, I like Turtle Wax Ice.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 3:41PM
i'll have to try that meguiars wax jt!  my personal opinion is if you have a dark color car is to stay away from carnuba wax (most are carnuba based) it seems to smear and show smudges!IMO but silicone and polymers don't just my 2 cents!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 7:44AM
If the paint surface is well cared for many top brand waxes will work great. If the paint is a little neglected, or otherwise kind of porous or dead, then some force is needed to work any wax into the paint. That's about the effort needed, and some kind of positive buffer is the best tool.

Any buffer that will stop moving(the pad on the surface) when you press it down firmly, that's a waste of money. A good buffer will not stop moving, thus you can add some weight to it and produce more polishing of the surface with it. I only have the old style of 12" orbital buffer, which was the original heavy duty tool that will remove scratches using compound.

I'd like to find some kind of small orbital buffer that will also take force and firmly polish as needed, in tight spaces. I used to detail cars, way back then I could wax a car in 5-10 minutes with a sponge, the buffer and a towel. Now my own cars need more work(they need painted), so I'm out of practice, and doing one after not being done for a year or more is hard work by hand.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 7:51AM
None of mine ever have good enough paint to wax.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 7:56AM
If it's been a while, use a clay bar first. You can buy a Meguiars clay bar kit at a local auto parts store.
This will give it a new car feel.
Then I like using Mequiars Ultimate or NXT wax. This will definitely slick it up.

If you have a lot of minor scratches, you should just bypass the clay step and just have someone polish the complete car with a  foam pad. THis will remove any of the minor scratches, plus get rid of any residue that's embedded in the paint. THEN you can wax it.
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
73torino gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 10:51AM
What do u use on a car with a new paint job that has never been waxed?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 11:27AM
Originally posted by 73torino gt 73torino gt wrote:

What do u use on a car with a new paint job that has never been waxed?

New paint needs several weeks to cure fully before applying actual wax. Most new cars will have had polish(glaze) put on them by the dealer. Polish(glaze) is a light substance made just to hide swirls etc, a slick greasy product. I know that the word polish is now abused, it has come to mean that there is some grit in it. I grew up with polish meaning no grit, which now is just called a glaze, blah blah.

So use a glaze product after a week or so on fresh paint, but wait for say six weeks before using a wax, which is a sealing product. Regards,

Edited by 72 RS 351 - 30-September-2014 at 11:28AM
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 11:50AM
You mean to tell me nobody uses or likes the "awesome" Ermm liquid wax at your drive up manual car wash. Just 5 minutes (requiring at least a dozen quarters), a couple of trips around the vehicle and your done Ouch. All joking aside, good info in this thread pertaining to the differences in compounds, polishes, waxes and their intended uses.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 12:27PM
^^^ ahh, "switching to hot wax" LOL Thumbs Down
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 12:56PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

^^^ ahh, "switching to hot wax" LOL Thumbs Down

HOT WAX!?! Now that's the "high dollah" option, right ther. Embarrassed Wink
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
cyclone21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclone21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 1:22PM

The paint on my car is in pretty good shape. I think the clear coat is a little dull in places. I just want to add some gloss.

68 Cyclone GT 390 S-code Red bucket seats
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 1:51PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

None of mine ever have good enough paint to wax.

old school = ATF

a guy had an old Nissan 300Z, was starting to rust up in many places & the paint was flat dead

next time I see the car it looks like the paint isn't dry yet... Pledge
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 3:04PM
atf LOLLOLLOL Thumbs Up years ago a buddy of mine used atf on his vinyl top, looked like a million bucks! till he went down a dirt road Shocked !!!  OuchLOLLOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2014 at 10:52AM
Old Vinyl top? Try shoe polish Smile
Works good on a beater.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2014 at 1:03PM
I like carnauba based waxes, and have used Maguiar's Gold class for years with success.  It gives a nice warm depth to the paint, goes on and off easy and is cheaper than the synthetic waxes.  It doesn't last as long as syns though if you keep the car outside in the rain. 
The Meguiar's ultimate polish and compounds are really good if you need to bring back the paint before you top it off with wax.  Check out this video of the magic it works on 43 year old paint:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply