The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

68 "Glue in windows"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDSCHOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 "Glue in windows"
    Posted: 10-November-2014 at 6:43AM
The last thing, and most aggravating thing that I need to get done before I can turn my son loose is getting the door windows reset. When I bought the car, both sides looked like they'd been re-glued (and not very good). The big problem I'm having is knowing the exact place the channels are glued on. There was no factory sealant in the channels, or marks on the glass to give me an accurate position. If anyone has ever had experience with this, I'd appreciate some input. I've ordered manuals, and asked around, but nothing so far.Confused
68hardtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68hardtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2014 at 2:43PM
My friend a Torino guru once lent me a jig he made for doing the windows. It is slick, works well.I am do to see him this week I will try to get some pictures and measures
rafaelmd View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafaelmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2020 at 3:28PM
Hi. Its been 6 years.
Anyone know the right spot, measurements from the edges of the glass to glue the channels? thanks
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2020 at 2:59AM
This is what I have done over the years in our body shop.  (You can use any type of glass adhesive to secure the window to the mount. Just don't use silicone).  Center the glass with the fiber padding into the holder using the adhesive and gently crank the window up to the stops where it is positioned both upward and forward against the weatherstrip with the door closed.. Secure the glass to prevent it from coming free of the holder until the adhesive cures.  I usually taped the window crank in the position it stops at when the window is up.. Also, I used tape to secure the window on the outside to the roof as an added measure.. Let the adhesive cure and remove all the tape.  We used the 3M 08690.
2ndtimearound View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimearound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 6:17AM
In 79, I had to reset my 69 Torino drivers windows in their tracks and recall that went without issue. If I recall, the markings were still on the windows. 

This past week, I bought a 68 Torino GT convertible and it was delivered to me last Sunday and again the drivers side window came undone from its track. However, the glass was not clearly marked, it was super dirty and no clear marks. When I RTV'd it back in place quick, I guessed and set the back mount too far to the right and when fully extended up, the glass is short of the weather stripping by about a 1/4". So, I know now what the measurement should not be and I will go out and check and report back what the measurement should, in fact, be. As, I need to redo mine as well.   
 Post Reply Post Reply