The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Trans for a 351C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcclainshane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Trans for a 351C
    Posted: 21-April-2015 at 3:23AM
Just bought a 72 ford torino. I believe its a 351C. It has the 8 valve cover bolts as the Cleveland is suppose to have and I think the Windsor had 6. I want to put an edelbrock efi e street system on it and maybe aluminum heads among other things. I want to use the car for cruises but be able to get into it when I want. Just wondering if the c6 would be a good choice. Currently has a c4.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2015 at 1:34PM
The C4 can be built to withstand some serious HP, as well as the C6. I would probably be cheaper for you to build your C4 rather then purchase and build a smallblock C6. In stock form the C6 would be the better choice IMO.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
mcclainshane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcclainshane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2015 at 2:08PM
Ok thanks sir. Yeah the cost won't bother me much. I would like to stay around $25k in the build but that's just a guideline. Just heard that the c6 was better for longer hauls and the c4 was more for strip use. Didn't know if it was true or not.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2015 at 2:10PM
C4 is fine. If it works ok, maybe put a shift kit in.
C6 is heavier and eats a bit more power, but it is stronger.
Check your VIN and see what your engine is. 351C and 400 use same valve covers. 
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2015 at 6:47PM
A top loader. LOL
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2015 at 1:10PM
Chuck,I'm with you on that!Thumbs Up
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2015 at 4:07AM
If you put 10k in the motor expect to put 10k into the trans for a balanced package. The transmission is as important if not more important. Fun can be had with a junkyard motor and a solid gear box. With that budget, T56.. it's an excellent box.

If you like the autos then just stick with a built c4. I'm not an expert on the auto trans options but things like shift kits can really bring some life into the boring stock autos.
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply