The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 speed Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 speed Conversion
    Posted: 19-May-2015 at 1:04PM
How difficult would it be to take all of the 4 speed components and drive train out of a 1972-1973 mustang and add it to a 1972-1973 torino?  Would the fit be difficult to achieve? Would the pedals be the same as well as all the mounting brakes and things of that sort?? 
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2015 at 1:34PM
the pedal hangers aren't the same, nor is the z-bar. not saying it cant be done. but for the amount of time spent fabricating.... I'd by the  correct stuff. it's only money and you can't take it with ya!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
72Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2015 at 1:44PM
haha True it is only money but the time waiting for the correct pieces to come up for sale could be long coming.... 
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2015 at 9:12PM
Use a McLeod hydraulic throwout instead, it'll work off the standard hydraulic clutch reservoir and require no linkages.

Its how I'll be running the A833 4 speed in my 73 Torino. Mine wasn't a factory 4 speed so I'm going to have to install a Wilwood universal pedal with built in master in order to overcome this
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2015 at 12:13PM
Tilton seems to make good products. I am going to be using one of their release bearing setups on my TKO once I get it installed. I have experience with their master cylinders and they work just fine. The build quality seems really nice and I haven't heard of any failures. Just throwing more options out there.

-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply