The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBF TKO 600 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1976grantorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBF TKO 600 conversion
    Posted: 31-May-2015 at 11:31PM
Has anyone put a TKO 600 behind a BBF in a Gran Torino? I'm wondering what size bellhousing to get? I think 7in will work with a 1/2 spacer added. Please post what others have used.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 7:33AM
I am doing that but haven't finished it. I have a T10/T5 bell housing with a spacer. The spacer I used is McLeod MCL-6807. I'm also using a Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing. I still haven't figure out which starter I am going to be using yet but I am sure I can make something work. 

Edited by Billy C - 01-June-2015 at 7:35AM
-Billy Conturo
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 8:16AM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

I am doing that but haven't finished it. I have a T10/T5 bell housing with a spacer. The spacer I used is McLeod MCL-6807. I'm also using a Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing. I still haven't figure out which starter I am going to be using yet but I am sure I can make something work. 

Have you installed it yet?  Want to know if you had to cut the floor?
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 8:44AM
I have not installed it but I know the only place the floor could possibly need any modification is the spot for the shift lever.
-Billy Conturo
1976grantorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1976grantorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 8:47AM
What did you do for the clutch actuator? I used a 78 Lincoln hydro booster for the brakes. I plan on using hydro clutch system. I'm afraid the frpp tall valve covers will hit though.
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 9:09AM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

I have not installed it but I know the only place the floor could possibly need any modification is the spot for the shift lever.

I went with the upgraded T-5 because it looked like I would have had to cut where the bulge is near the tailshaft of the trans.  The floor on the Torino is a lot narrower and lower than I would have thought.  I will be looking forward to see what you had to do - I would love to upgrade to the TKO 600.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 12:07PM
I have no problem cutting things up but I am really hoping I don't have to. I took extensive measurements and it looks like it will be a pretty straight forward swap.

For the Hyrdo clutch setup I am using one of those standard single master cylinders with the two mounting bolts. I have re-designed the brake and clutch pedal for the new setup. Those will be CNCed. The cylinder for the clutch will be under the dash. It actually packages really nice. I'm dying to get it all together but the Torino is so low on the priority list, things just happen when I can make time for them.

-Billy Conturo
cggrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cggrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2015 at 2:10PM
Billy - do this yet?  Still interested in what it took in the away of cutting the floor if anything?  I am about to pull the trigger on a 6 speed,
1976grantorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1976grantorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2015 at 2:35PM
I mocked mine up. Not sure how to post photos. I used a 7in bell housing for the tko 600 from quick time. The shifter comes up through the same place the auto shifter was. Might need 1/2 trim in the floor just to be good. I posted photos on Facebook. Torino & Gran Torino Tech Talk
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2015 at 3:05PM
No cutting at all with the tko and big block. The stock cross member works too. Going from a c6 and big block, a 2" longer drive shaft is necessary.

There is some more info in my thread. I'll have pictures up soon.
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply