The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torino 351 Cobra Jet and AOD? Need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torino 351 Cobra Jet and AOD? Need help
    Posted: 02-June-2015 at 7:07PM
Hi everybody,
It's now 2 years since my last drive, when I decide to replace the engine of my 74 Gran Torino. 
Today is the body on the rotissoire, and chassis, is ready for sandblasting.
My last idea is to change the C4 tranny to an AOD.
I found one in the area, but am not sure about the car or truck from where I comes. Could you help me to confirm my decoding?
The carter ref is RF-E3SP-7006-AA, just under, another line: CFD38. There is also a round stamped number with an "85", I assume this last would say the carter was casted in 85. But the ref nr would say it's a tranny coming out of an 83 T-Bird.... 
So my concern is to know what's the truth.
Another question is if this tranny could go in my car. And if yes what do I need to do for this swap.
Last thing I've noticed, is that the mechanical speedo cable housing like in my C4 is replaced on the AOD by a 4 cables plug. Is it possible to convert?
Many thanks for your replies.

Edited by Dan65 - 02-June-2015 at 7:12PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2015 at 8:05PM
not a 100% on some of that but, i have an AOD from a 83 e150 van it had wrecking yard writing on it that said it was from a 84 cougar (same as the 83 bird you speak of. mine has a speedo cable just like the torino. it fit in the same as my original FMX tranny same length same mount but i went floor shift and a lokar cable kickdown and you would need the AOD slip yoke for the tranny and should fit to the torino u-joint and drive line, just swap the slip yokes.
 and i have a 351W engine in my car.

maybe others can tell you more...

Edited by californiajohnny - 02-June-2015 at 8:09PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U