The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trans swap AOD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trans swap AOD
    Posted: 10-June-2015 at 1:21PM
Ok here we go.... I am planning on converting the 74 rancheros trans from the C6 to so sort of an overdrive unit. I want something that would be very reliable since I cruise in this car a lot. I have a 460 in it with hooker headers. has anybody done this swap (with this engine not a 302) and what would be needed to make this work? any links or information would be greatly appreciated. thanks Dan    
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 1:36PM
There is a company that makes an adapter plate kit to convert an AOD/AODE transmission onto your engine.

But the AOD/AODE when installed on your engine, is only going to be as strong as an FMX transmission.

You also have the option of installing a Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive Unit.
 If you do decide to order one of these units, you will have to specify what type of driving you will be doing with it. Like regular cruising, street/strip or high performance racing. You will also have to tell them if you have the long or short tail shaft on your transmission.

To see the gear vendors unit for sale Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 10-June-2015 at 1:47PM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 1:37PM
here are a couple of the adapter plate options...

As for the AOD... look for one from a Thunderbird SC or have your tranny shop do a rebuild. They added extra plates to the SC in order to toughen it up.

Also will need the Lokar TVS AOD cable linkage.

grab the driveshaft from the AOD as well so you can use the yoke to make a new Driveshaft to proper length.

OR you can look for a newer truck/van with the E4OD and get the computer controller for it too.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Gransport72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gransport72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 2:00PM
I went with the gear vendor overdrive behind my 502 stroked 429, still wanted to keep the bulletproof c-6. I went with the one that you don't have to change the mainshaft, you just get the kit with their tailhousing and the unit bolts to that, you can shorten it up by changing mainshafts and mounting the overdrive right to the back of the tranny. I did have to make some room for it in the tranny tunnel especially where the speedo cable comes out and mine has a little bit of gear noise when it's on but it nothing that really bothers me. It dropped my final rpm's about 600 to 700. It's a nice kit, just a little expensive at almost $2800.
Jason
'72 Gran Torino Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply