The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a 408w stroker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a 408w stroker
    Posted: 28-March-2008 at 1:02PM
Plans for a 408w stroker putting out about 500hp for my 76 starsky car resto.Have the block,will be going with world sr. iron heads(they were free!!)10.3 to 1 comp.about a 560 lift roller cam with tie bar hyd lifters,roller rockers,edelbrock air gap intake,and a mass flo fuel injection system based off of the 5.0 mustang EECIV computer system with mass air,36LB injectors.The mass air sensor sits atop the 4 barrel throttle body and uses a GM LS-1 mass air meter,all off it is hidden under the air cleaner!!Very slick and great driveability.Also a AOD overdrive mustang tranny,4 pinion 9 inch rear with 3.50 gears.Tranny and rear are done,motor is next in april.Let me know if any of you running a stroker!!
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 12:57PM
Going to be stabbing in a 408w into a ltd ii in the next few months along with a tremec tko 5 speed. Eagle forged kit with steel crank, H beam rods.10.4 to 1 comp,  Solid roller cam, Ported vic jr heads, vic jr intake. Should run decent. Looking forward to driving this thing

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 3:24PM
Sounds really sweet.I wound up doing the 427w instead for my car.It's up and running and sounds really good!Let me know how you make out.
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2009 at 6:23AM
ralph did that mustang tranny hook right up to your block? or did you have to get a new bell housing? i love my FMX but i want an extra gear! lol 
'73 Gran Torino Sport "H" Code
Out with the Cleveland, In with the Windsor
Cleveland build in the near future
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2009 at 9:02AM
Yes,the AOD trans is a one piece case,for 302 or 351W.If you go this route,it shouldn't be to hard to find an AOD from a 5.0 stang to redo.
haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2009 at 3:34PM
Try to find an AOD from a mustang GT (5.0), they internals are built better and stronger. I can't remember exactly what, it's been a while....
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2009 at 5:20PM
dude thats awesome. what about the tranny lines and shifter linkage? anything id have to fab or buy to make it work? 
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2009 at 12:45PM
Any mustang,GT or LX 5.0 AOD from a 87-93.The best years are 89-93,ford changed from cast iron drums to stamped steel pieces and it makes the rotating assembly 8 lbs lighter.1994 started the electronic version.Tranny lines are easy,there both at the front of case,one on top of the other,so it makes it easy to get to.You can make new lines or just cut and flare in new pieces to meet your existing lines,just remember the out line is the top fitting on trans and lower is the in line back from your cooler.I think I remember you have a column shift?The shifter cable is the only thing that might need a little work,the AOD lever on trans has a round hole that uses a hard plastic bushing.You can take that out and adapt to it with you fmx hardware I believe.The trans mount needs to be clearanced a bit on the backside,so you can get at the bolts to tighten them,that's all.Driveshaft should not be a problem,you just have to check when you put it in that there's about 1 1/2 inches of the yoke showing at tail of trans so it has room to move in and out of tailshaft.You'd have to get an AOD throttle pressure cable,lokar makes them,about $50.This cable hooks to carb like a kickdown,but has to be properly adjusted.AOD's shift on throttle pressure by setting that cable,not like your fmx which shifts on vaccum signal,AOD's have no vaccum switch.So this is critical that it be setup to right pressure or you can burn up the trans.
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2009 at 1:02PM
Ralph I swear you are as useful as wikipedia! haha. thats some good info right there I am definitely thinking about doing the swap. the 4th gear is very useful on the highway since i will be driving on highway a lot to school. thank you for that info 
 Post Reply Post Reply