The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 spd trans swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 spd trans swap
    Posted: 06-October-2015 at 10:49AM
I was reading in one of the forums that a tremec tko was swapped into a 72 torino sport without any modifications to the tunnel.I have a 4spd and was told by a vendor that i would have to modify the tunnel.If anyone has any info i would really appreciate it Thanks
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2015 at 5:13PM
check out billy's thread he's putting in a TKO:
 http://forum.grantorinosport.org/billy-cs-72-gts-better-late-than-never_topic5080_page12.html

i think someone else has one too in their car
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MIKE72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2015 at 3:04PM
Thanks for the info, I am going to check it out
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2015 at 6:37PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

check out billy's thread he's putting in a TKO:
 http://forum.grantorinosport.org/billy-cs-72-gts-better-late-than-never_topic5080_page12.html
i think someone else has one too in their car
Big smileEmbarrassed
I wish I had more pictures up. I will soon I promise.

Originally posted by MIKE72 MIKE72 wrote:

I was reading in one of the forums that a tremec tko was swapped into a 72 torino sport without any modifications to the tunnel.I have a 4spd and was told by a vendor that i would have to modify the tunnel.If anyone has any info i would really appreciate it Thanks
I shouldn't say weather it does or doesn't if Tremic's vendors don't even know. They should be paying me to tell people it fits. I'm just free R&D. Disapprove Also, I don't recommend the TKO yet. When it takes everything I'm about to throw at it, I will weigh in on my option of it's performance.

The answer is yes, it fits with no modifications to any parts of the body or frame other than the tunnel where the shifter has to go through. No clearance issues. I have no idea where the 4 speed shift lever is mounted on the tunnel so maybe it has to be modified for the TKO shifter. I was swapping from a C6 that had a half-assed floor shifter installed so I knew I would have to change things a bit. It is very close to the top of tunnel towards the front most transmission cover plate.

The c6 tucks very nicely in the tunnel but the TKO is a little blocky and bulky. 
I'm also using the stock c6 trans mount with 1/2" spacers to get the engine a little more level and avoid a radical rear pinion angle.

Which version of TKO are you planning on and what's the rest of the setup look like?

Welcome to the forum...
-Billy Conturo
MIKE72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2015 at 4:16PM
Hey Billy thanks for that info . I have a 72 that was an auto and found a donor car for the complete 4spd swap . I measured out the shifter and it should fit into the factory shifter spot no problem . I'm just finishing a frame off resto and am looking to use the tremec tko 500, i have the matching 351c Q code engine with a little work,just about 375 hp and the locker rear. I was told they have a shorter input shaft available so i can use my factory bell housing. Thanks again for your help and if you have any other suggestion let me know
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2015 at 6:22PM
Do you have the top loader from the donor car? I think that's a pretty good transmission. What are the plans for the car? It sounds like it's going to be fun, with a high reving v8 and a manual.
-Billy Conturo
MIKE72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2015 at 5:58AM
I think i'm going to hold onto the trans , It's not the original , when i checked the numbers it was for an older car and the shifter was modified to fit . I'm just waiting to get the trans and see what it can do.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2015 at 11:32AM
I didn't have any choice in going with a different transmission. The TKO is one of the only transmissions that is affordable and can hold around 600ft/lbs of torque. I would have gone with a wide ratio toploader if I could have. Mild v8's have pretty wide torque bands so close ratio gears and a deep final drive really isn't necessary for the average street car. A wide ratio toploader would have a deep enough first gear for ample torque at the wheels with a low final drive. The overdrive is nice but pretty unnecessary unless some serious road trips are on the agenda. Most tires will be the limit in first gear so having a low final drive is no big deal. It all depends on the intended use of the car.
-Billy Conturo
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2015 at 12:10PM
To add to the mix, if you want to keep a 4 speed and want wide ratio you can use an A833 or Muncie by using a universal bellhousing, this allows you to bolt the correct bell to the box and trans without an adaptor.

Clutch wise match the pressure side of the engine to the friction side of the gearbox and for actuation use a hydramax style setup
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
MIKE72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKE72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 3:45PM
Hey Billy i just wanted to say thanks , the trans fit like a glove . I just had to have a drive shaft made a couple inches longer. I should be able to get out this weekend for a good test run.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 5:24PM
Nice! Glad to hear it went well. I just got mine done a few nights ago. I'll have details in my thread soon. What does your setup look like? What are you using for a clutch and clutch mechanics? What size U-joints did you go with? How long is the new drive shaft? I'm going to be listing all that stuff in my thread soon. I'd be interested to see if your setup came out any different. It's all good stuff for anyone to know tackling a project like this. I wish I had a good resource going to into it.

We love our pictures here too.
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply