The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72-73 GTS Taillight Housing Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72-73 GTS Taillight Housing Question
    Posted: 18-October-2015 at 5:29AM
Hello!

So I want to put my new rear bumper on since I have a good pair of (or so I thought)taillight housing assemblies..

The problem I have run into is the threaded post that are potmetaled  on to the housing that bolt to the bumper have broken off!
The ones that are original to the car have broken off as well when I tried to take them off!

What can I do to fix this?..Can they be repaired or do I have to find yet another set and just hope for the beast they too do not break off?

HELP PLEASE,THANKS!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 7:06AM
is there enough meat to grind the area smooth & drill / tap for a threaded stud?
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 4:35PM
are those housings potmetal or steel? i assumed they were steel, if so you could grind them flush and tack weld on some type of thin flat headed "T" bolt type of studs, or drill through and bolt them on from the inside of the housings through to the bumper tabs with stainless bolts.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
formaltop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formaltop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 4:46PM
Yep, when I had my bumper rechromed when reinstalling the housings I broke off a stud. I just welded it back on.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2015 at 12:09PM
If you can't find another housing and the stud is damaged just grind down the head of a bolt that's long enough, the same size and thread pitch then weld that on. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
 Post Reply Post Reply