The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiper arm bushing replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiper arm bushing replacement
    Posted: 19-December-2015 at 9:58AM
Thanks to all who posted on this topic. It helped me get this done! Thanks Torinogts73c !

I ordered ford part number C5ZZ-7A133-A from NPD, their part number 7A133-1, which are bushings for mustang shift selector shaft. The pictures below are of the arm that comes off the wiper motor. Both bushings on this arm were missing so I only needed two of the above bushings at $1.25 each!

Wiper arm, motor side without bushing:
   photo December 2015 051_zpsw0nzjbqx.jpg

With bushing:

photo December 2015 052_zpsmdzlicjz.jpg

Now the wipers work like factory.
Pivot end with new bushing installed, takes a bit to rock it in:

photo December 2015 055_zpsiuvtmacx.jpg

Edited by fordismyboss - 20-December-2015 at 4:58AM
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2015 at 4:41AM
Thanks, I'm going to put my wipers back on now Smile
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2021 at 3:16AM
I know this is an old thread but an issue that keeps coming up.  I thought I would try this method and post my results.  I ordered 8 of the listed bushings and after a little trial and error got them installed on two of the pivot points on the wiper transmission.  I ended up cutting the bushings depth down by about 1/2 ti 2/3 on both of them prior to installation.  It worked best to install the inner bearing (between the arm and the transmission mount bracket) first and then the outer bearing.  Even though these are split bearings it was kind of tricky to get the bearings started into the opening and I found I had to cut back the plastic where the two ends come together by about 1/16 inch.  Once you get it started you have to turn the bearing slowly to get the lip to feed into the gap.  I broke a couple of the bearings trying to insert them so if you do this order extra.  After I got them in the fit is quite snug and the rotation is smooth.  As others have stated before I am not planning on driving frequently in the rain so usage will only be when unforeseen weather happens, definitely not a long term fix but should suffice for my purposes.  Also it was necessary to take a pointed pick type tool to clean out the old bushing material from the opening prior to inserting the new bushing.  

Edited by 1973gts - 01-September-2021 at 3:42AM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2022 at 10:18PM
 I had luck using a hot glue gun.
michigan
 Post Reply Post Reply