The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5.0 EFI swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.0 EFI swap
    Posted: 04-May-2008 at 3:45PM
Has anyone swapped in a factory fuel injected 5.0? I picked up a Ranchero lately that has a 351M with a noisy bearing and am considering swapping in a 5.0 with an AOD out of an 86 Crown Vic? Thought I'd try and vett out any swap issues.

Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 4:11AM
I had an '86 Crown Vic police car with a 5.0, it was an excellent daily driver. All the mounts on your Ranchero will be different as you probably know. The gas tank mods, new fuel lines, fuel pump, sensors and wiring won't be an easy task. Sounds like a fun project.  
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 10:51AM
I may swap a carb to get it running with the 302 and then swap the fuel injection. I'll have to drop the tank on the wagon and see if it will fit up.

Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 1:05PM
I had an '87 Crown Vic cop car with a 5.8 carb engine. Wouldn't that be an easier swap? Plus the 5.8 might have a bit more go power.
  Stan
torinospeed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinospeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 3:32PM

Small block motor mounts

New exhaust downpipes made

New crossmember for trans

Donor wiring harness to be converterd to work with

Wiring in power to the harness

Custom fuel setup.  You can tap the tank, run a return line and get an efi inline fuel pump

as far as the wiring, dont sweat it.. Just take a look and search for ignition power, ecu power, ecu memory, fuel pump power.

Ecu power and ecu memory can be all time hot since they only pull a few millivolts..
Ignition needs to be switched, and so does fuel pump, but you can run a relay off your ignition switch to power both wires.

To make you factory tach signal work, find the pin out on the ecu for tachometer, and find signal going to the cluster on your tach and tag them together.  Fuel level should be the same.  Speedometer should be cable driven, so that should work.  If it's electronic, im sure lokar or someone has a kit to convert it.  If not, i bet dakota digital does.

Custom drivesaft possible.  Could take 86 donor car input shaft, cut it and weld it to your exisiting then have it balanced.

Sounds like a fun swap.  Not sure if it would be worth it for less than 200whp though.
Q-Code 73 Gran Torino
Hurst 4 speed
351 Cleveland
Posi "9
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 1:02PM
I'll probably throw a carb on it for now. The engine and tranny were rebuilt and only have 10k, and  200 horsepower is still about 50 more hp than the old 351M was cranking out new. The tranny is only an AOD so that should simplify it a bit.
I've been doing some research and read someone reversed their transmission crossmember to match up with the AOD mount position. I have to get an email over to the guy that did the AOD swap, because it seems as if he only swapped out the the yoke to fit the trans. I did make a few phone calls and found out (supposedly) that if the 86 wagon came with a towing package it would use the same universal joint. I still have to get the length measurements for both the FMX and the AOD. The worst would appear to be setting up the T.V. cable.
If I can get some decent gas mileage (relatively speaking) I'm happy. The only car I want to rate in gallons per mile is the fastback. The Ranchero is is just an interesting house truck / driver.

Chuck

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 2:02PM
I;m putting the AOD in my 76.I have already mocked it up on my chassis with the body off.I used a 5.0 motor for the mock up and it lined up perfectly with the crossmenber!Like it was made for it!I was shocked and super thrilled!!My 76 has the dual bolt holes on the frame,I think all years from 72 should have these.I believe I used the 76 c-4 trans mount,it also lines up on the trans with no problem.If you need a yoke,C-4 and AOD are the same.28 spline is what you need.I just ordered a new yoke today from summit.I got the last one in stock,ford motorsport makes one and at a great price $55.I needed a new yoke as my original had some bushing wear.The length of my 76 driveshaft is perfect,theres enough there to let it slip in and out of the trans.Lynchster,if you need an AOD TV  cable,mustangs Unlimited makes a conversion cable for cars using an AOD with a carb.I just saw it today in their catalog.Wink
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 2:49PM
Thanks for the confirmation. Let me know if you come across any tricks, this is sounding like a weekend swap if I plan it right. Of coarse swaping for the 302 at the same time could make it interesting. 

Chuck

Edited by lynchster - 09-May-2008 at 2:50PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
 Post Reply Post Reply