The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70's 3spd + OD trans, anyone used one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70's 3spd + OD trans, anyone used one?
    Posted: 09-April-2016 at 5:32PM
I got to thinkin about things as is the normal case for me late at night and i was curious if anyone has ever swapped one of the mid to late 70's 4 spd (3+od) trans into their torinos. I wonder if it's a direct swap for a top loader? I know the gear ratios were a little spread far apart from what i remember, but a stout enough small or big block with some gear would eliminate the doggieness and allow for the 4th gear OD.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2016 at 5:59PM
you mean the manual one's from like a granada? i'm not sure how durable those are... a buddy years ago had one fairly new and grenaded it with a stock inline 6! (but he was hard on stuff) Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2016 at 10:22PM
the 3+1 trans is sometimes called 'the imposter'

not a direct swap there are some differences like the speedo cable & driven gear,
it may use regular automatic stuff here?

the shifter is wonky too. one of the shift arms is upside down

Edited by Rockatansky - 09-April-2016 at 10:23PM
72 GT Ute

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2016 at 10:38PM
Wouldn't bother.....

Fit an OD or a 5 speed, the 3+1 are weak 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2016 at 12:35AM
I have heard that the 3+1 trans were caca.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2016 at 2:46AM
As a parts guy in Ford parts a lot of the internals were the same as the top loader 4spd. The RUG series were pretty durable. I have a customer that put one behind a 390FE motor in a Fox body mustang and he used to be a professional drag racer. Just sayin!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2016 at 3:54AM
yea I know they were used behind 300 6cyls and i think the 302's in trucks, so they should be strong enough for "normal" cruisin with a little blast here and there. It's not like these stock 351c's put out a lot of power and as long as you don't put stickies on it and hook em up hard, I'd think they'd last. I was curious about shifter location, brackets in same place for clutch rod etc? I was just keepin it in the back of my mind as a option. Majority of the roads around me you'll be lucky to go 55 on, so the OD isn't a must have for me.

Edited by MrSmog - 10-April-2016 at 4:00AM
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2016 at 6:26AM
They're weak.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply