The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap substitutions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap substitutions
    Posted: 27-April-2016 at 7:26AM
I try to find inexpensive (or money-saving) improvements for our vehicles when the opportunity arises. Last night I thought it might be nice to share our ideas with each other to gain some new ideas or merely see what can be done on the cheap.

C had curbed all her Acura TL wheels badly and actually warped one in a minor incident a while back, and I have been searching for replacements. This version of TL wheels on her car are highly sought after by the import tuners for use on other vehicles because of their look and ability to take massive brakes. Therefore, even a curbed set that looked rough was bringing $300-$500. Since most import sedans take the 5 X 114.3 (4.5) bolt pattern, I started looking around for a suitable replacement that would cost less initially, and able to be replaced with less cost if damaged again.

I found a set of powdercoated 17 inch Mustang GT wheels with the correct offset for $75 that even had some Michelin tires on them. Perfect fit, slightly offset by maybe 1/4 inch which looks better in her wheelwells. Tires are 1 size larger (245/45), so I'll swap her present tires over off the TL rims after she gets some use out of the Michelins currently on the Mustang rims. Removing the Mustang center cap and installing an early 1st gen Honda cap made them look completely different. First picture shows the powdercoated Mustang wheel before I cleaned and polished the Honda center cap and washed the wheels - now the polished cap really pops. She likes the look, thank goodness, and I saved several hundred dollars. Plus, I bought a really nice spare set of the same Mustang wheels and tires (for $100) in the original polished finish in case she gets tired of the dark finish. I installed one of each on her car to let her choose and enclosed a shot of those as well. Bargains are out there, my friends.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2016 at 7:36AM
Wheels with the stock Mustang cap

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2016 at 8:53AM
That's awesome.  Definitely sounds like something I'd do. 

When we knew we'd be needing tires soon for my son's 20" wheels on his Chrysler 300 (20" wheels weren't his 1st choice, they were already on the car), we set out to find some OEM 18" Mopar wheels/tires.  We found a great deal on some Challenger Magnum 500 "take-offs".  The tires were like-new.  Seems like we spent $400 for the set.  Then turned around and sold the 20s with tires that had about 20% tread for $300.  He couldn't be happier.  He got a set of wheels he likes better, plus a brand new set of tires, for $100.  I'll have to add a pic of his car, when I can get one.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2016 at 10:50AM
the center cap replacement makes it look like a whole new wheel!

I like the powdercoated ones myself and the new stance/offset is really nice!

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply