The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - converting from auto column to auto floor shifter?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

converting from auto column to auto floor shifter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: converting from auto column to auto floor shifter?
    Posted: 05-June-2016 at 6:44AM
I bought a Mustang type shifter at a swap meet today really cheap. This wasn't a planned mod, but I'd like to do it if I can. What all do I need to do to make this work? I believe that this is the same style shifter as the Ranchero/Torino, but not sure.
I won't be changing the column, just need to know what I need to do to mount the shifter to the floor and connect it to the transmission.
C4 trans according to the door jamb label.

Thanks,
Russ
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 7:01AM
I cant tell you how to hook up the floor shifter but to remove the column one you just need a small drift to knock the pin out of the lever arm, then unhook it from the crank on the steering column 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 7:12AM
Got that, thanks. Column is currently out of the car.
Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 7:25AM
IIRC... you may need to flip the trans shift lever if it's facing down it may need to be up for the selector shaft to rotate the right direction with the floor shifter rod. and you will need to wire the column NSS to the floor shift NSS if you have the short adapter wire harness for a floor shifter it should be just plug and play Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 7:28AM
Far better just to drop a quarter stick in there Wink
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 8:07AM
i think i seen you.you were walking out with it you and your buddy.the shifter is almost the same as torino.i think the torino shifter handle is bent  a little more then the mustangs.i know one is bent more to clear the dash.

Edited by torinojon - 05-June-2016 at 8:09AM
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 9:09AM
You may have seen me, but I was alone. Was about 9am.

I only got the shifter, no rod or wiring harness other than the light.

I'd love to do an aftermarket, but the prices on those have gotten way too high for my budget.

Thanks,
Russ
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2016 at 12:28PM
i got some mustang c4 floor shift rods 1972 that you might be able to adapt to what you need.i got a torino to compare to.depends on trans weather the safety switch was on trans or in the shifter.i did not get there until 8:30 or 9:00.i was driving my montego... 
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply