The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351w 76 Elite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w 76 Elite
    Posted: 10-June-2008 at 12:10PM
I am having running problems with my 76 Elite 351w 2bbl.
The car is totally stock, I have just installed a new 2bbl carb(from National carburettors in Florida, the old carb had a damaged emulsion tube and ran terrible). I have set the curb idle at 650 and have used a vacuum gauge to set the two mixture screws. Getting 19-20 ins/hg However the car seems hesitant under light throttle, a bit weezey! Is this how they drive? It does seem to "ping" when accelerating. It drives 100% better than it did on the old carb but does not feel quite right yet. Could it be coil going bad? or as the car appears completely original could the cat be blocked? Its only done 36,000miles from new.
I am in England so the cat is not a requirement on a car of this age, neither is most of the emissions stuff but i don't want to start pulling all of it apart if there is no need.
I am not looking for a tire smoker, just want to cruise!
thanks for your help
Adam
BIGEMUN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGEMUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 2:03PM
Chompy,
  I had some issues with my 75 gts and after all was said and done I needed a new timing chain, as it had stretched, and was messing with everything else I was doing to try to correct my problem. My car only had 55,000 original miles on it at the time and I didn't  think I would need to replace it. I put in a double roller when I replaced it. My throttle returned to where it should have been after replacement. Worth a check.

Jeff
1975 Gran Torino Sport
chompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2008 at 10:49PM
Oh dear! I hope it is not that serious. Quite a few people I have met tell me to dump all of the emissions stuff and the car will run much better with a bit more power as a bonus. There are so many vacuum lines going all over the place I did wonder if one of these was leaking somewhere but I don't know where to start looking. One person was convinced the Cat would be the problem on such an old car, he suggested I replace the cat with a section of exhaust pipe at least thenIi would know if the cat was casuing any kind of restriction...

Adam
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2008 at 8:36AM
Are you sure your timing is set correctly? Pinging under acceleration often means timing is too far advanced. An easy way to get an idea of the condition of your timing chain is as follows:
 Disconnect battery so engine can't turn over by accident. Lift off distributor cap so you can see the rotor button. Put socket and strongarm on bolt in end of crankshaft. Turn crankshaft until rotor button moves, then turn crank opposite direction until rotor moves other direction. If timing chain is in good shape, it should take very little crank movement to move the rotor button back and forth.
Hope this wasn't too long winded.

Stan

Edited by stanman - 27-June-2008 at 8:50AM
chompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2008 at 9:58PM
Hi Stan
Thanks for that, I will try that and see what the result is. I have assumed the timing was correct as the repair shop who originally diagnosed the carb problem said the ignition all checked out ok, but maybe i should never assume anything!!
The one problem I know I can't resolve is the huge cost of fuel in the UK! at £5.35 a gallon which is $10.87 it is becoming too expensive to drive the car anywhere. Typical, I have wanted a car like this since i was a kid, finally get one and gas prices go sky high!

Adam

chompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2008 at 3:25AM
Timing is all ok, in fact having now run the car on a few trips i don't think the noise is "pinging"
I checked the sparkplugs and they are in good brown/grey condition so i think the mixture etc is good. The noise seems to be coming from either one of the belts or pulleys. Could be a water pump, alternator or ac noise?  Its more of a rattle I suppose. If i run the engine at about 2-2500 rpm the noise is present, i think i will remove each belt in turn and try to work out what is causing the noise. Other than that she is running great with the new carb.

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply