The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

driveshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: driveshaft
    Posted: 22-November-2016 at 12:13PM
have  a 72 torino have starting to put engine and trans in it had 400 with c6 now going to have a 302 with a c4 will the c6 driveshaft fit does anyone know any help  
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 1:54PM
IIRC, the transmission yokes have different spline counts between a C4 and the larger C6. The shaft length will not be right since the C6 is roughly 3" longer than a C4. So basically you will need a new driveshaft built for the 302/C4 application with the correct C4 yoke. If my memory serves me correctly of course. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2016 at 12:26PM
yup, sounds like you'll need a longer tube, i found an alloy driveshaft from i believe a Ram 1500 truck?

1330 joints IIRC, the rear of the shaft holds the proper 'Cleveland' style joint for the Ford rear end yoke and the front they cut down & installed a new 1330 joint & the correct yoke for my 4spd

watch that rear U joint, the caps on mine are are different sizes, very close but different. maybe 1/16" or 1/8" larger diameter caps in the rear end yoke
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2016 at 1:57PM
Roughly 3" longer... Maybe a 4-door driveshaft would work???
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2016 at 2:30PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

yup, sounds like you'll need a longer tube, i found an alloy driveshaft from i believe a Ram 1500 truck?

1330 joints IIRC, the rear of the shaft holds the proper 'Cleveland' style joint for the Ford rear end yoke and the front they cut down & installed a new 1330 joint & the correct yoke for my 4spd

watch that rear U joint, the caps on mine are are different sizes, very close but different. maybe 1/16" or 1/8" larger diameter caps in the rear end yoke

Yep, one pair of caps are 1.062"(1 1/16") and the other pair is 1.125"(1 1/8"), these are referred to as a Ford 1310 BC or Ford 1330 BC
Image result for 1330 universal joint image

Hope this is helpful.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2016 at 3:44PM
wouldn't a stock driveline from a 351 windsor car with a fmx, be the right length? is a c-4 and the fmx different splines? should be the right length just maybe swap the front slip yokes???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 4:22AM
that may be close Johnny, may be the same mix-mash I've actually even done once but no guarantees

the tape measure doesn't lie Wink

i remember a Ford factory driveshaft length / spec chart on the Ranchero board a long time ago, or it might've been here? covered all wheelbases / models

personally i like to measure it myself with the slip yoke 3/4" - 1" from bottomed in the trans, i measure center to center on the caps. tards at a local shop said 'they don't use center to center' and delivered me an unusable shaft, too short IMO. they wanted pinion flange parting surface (center) to output shaft butt end then they subtract some fantasy dimension & start cutting Confused problem there is that each different trans's slip yoke has it's own bottom to center dimension, sometimes there are several for the same trans. at that shop the shorter your slip yoke, the shorter your shaft Thumbs Down

72 GT Ute

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 4:57AM
Does that mean if I go from the aod in the pinto to a c4 I add more problems.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 5:47AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

Does that mean if I go from the aod in the pinto to a c4 I add more problems.
IDK maybe, but they should be minor
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 8:10AM
AOD to C4 needs slip yoke change, length might work because of yoke difference?

trans dimension chart here,

Edited by Rockatansky - 24-November-2016 at 8:20AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply