The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emission Time.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGobble8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emission Time.
    Posted: 09-December-2016 at 4:32PM
Emission time is coming up for me here in Az. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? It is a 351c with a 2 barrel carb. Has a smog canister in the engine bay. Any help would be appreciated. Would a switch to a 4 barrel help with a more complete burn of fuel? As well my exhaust is also stock. I would like to put some headers and redo the exhaust system. Would this help as well?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2016 at 4:45PM
i'd say make sure you have a good tune up on the car, make sure the choke is fully open when warmed up, maybe turn the carb screws in a little to lean it out (make a note of where they each are before you turn them so they can be turned back afterwardsWink)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
CalGobble8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGobble8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2016 at 4:53PM
Okay. I would like to upgrade the carb and exhaust system. Should I wait to do it after the emissions or do you think that would help in anyway for passing? Also can the smog canister be cleaned?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2016 at 8:09PM
not sure about AZ, but usually they don't like items that alter it from OEM?? so i'd say after.
that canister is a charcoal filter for gas fumes from the tank? i don't think it can be cleaned
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2016 at 8:24AM
AZ doesn't care about aftermarket stuff. Just needs to pass the tailpipe test, and have all the smog stuff like cat convertor, etc that it came with. Although they generally don't look under the hood very often. And no cat on a 72.

My 72 (same engine as op) failed the first time. I had to really adjust the carb mixture screws using a vacuum gauge, and I raised the idle to about 1200 for it to pass. Make sure it has a fairly new tuneup (points, plugs, all that stuff) and air cleaner.

Changing the exhaust won't really do much of anything re emissions. Other than make you fail if you live in California. Dead

I'd get the emissions passed first, and then start the other stuff. It might take a bit to get it all tuned just right, might as well not worry about having to pass emissions while doing that.

Make sure your gas cap has a decent gasket/seal/whatever it is called.

Russ

Edited by russosborne - 10-December-2016 at 8:25AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGobble8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2016 at 8:50AM
I appreciate the help. I have a 71 so I don't believe it has any cats just the canister underneath the hood. But I will deffinetly be doing a tune up here soon.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2016 at 9:09AM
most cars didn't get cats until 75.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2016 at 6:05PM
you have to pass emissions on a 70s car in Arizona???

Well, I ain't ever moving there! lol

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGobble8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2016 at 6:11PM
I tried to get collector car insurance on it to get exempt but was denied.
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2016 at 7:22AM
Originally posted by CalGobble8 CalGobble8 wrote:

I tried to get collector car insurance on it to get exempt but was denied.

why were you denied?
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalGobble8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2016 at 7:34AM
I have one ticket on my record. As well I live in an apartment and the vehicle is in my carport and not a garage.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2016 at 8:37AM
I know of a guy that would drive in a lower gear to the emission testing facility to get the engine good and hot, cram steel wool (not an SOS pad) up into the exhaust pipe around the corner from the facility and then go on into the testing facility. The steel wool was up in there enough so the wand could not touch it and it would cut down on the exhaust flow enough to pass. Once passed, he'd leave and stomp on it to blow out the steel wool. Worked for 5 years, then he sold the vehicle.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 5:51PM
Cal, that's the issue on classic insurance, they require a locking garage were the vehicle, when not used and stored is secured.
No way around it.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply