The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

awesome carb idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 9:54AM
In order to hydraulic lock the engine with the carb jetting you'd have to be an idiot.....like running a 1050 Dominator on a stock 289

Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Richard W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 11:13AM
Pushing raw fuel into the quench area thus fueling the plugs reducing efficiency. Once the plug is dead, enough fuel can build up to squeeze past the rings but most out the exhaust. It's still a hydraulic effect it just doesn't bend rods. These Thompson things should work fine for atomization, the Autolite 4100 has had one for its entire production run. If you have squirters that produce a flat stream, it's not needed.
Richard W.
Richard W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 11:28AM
Here is a video in action. See how the stream fans out, better atomization. However, you do have to bend them as its running to make sure none of the fuel hits the side of the venturi. This could slow down airflow ruining any positive effects.

https://youtu.be/-tAZjyu_KKY
Richard W.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 12:06PM
Hey California Johnny, looks like someone liked your avatar so much he made it his own Shocked.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 3:26PM
yeah i noticed that! well as they say if your good it's often imitated Wink LOL

now i remember the term... "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" Wink

Edited by californiajohnny - 25-February-2017 at 1:29PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 3:36PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

yeah i noticed that! well as they say if your good it's often imitated Wink LOL

Dang it Johnny, you took the high road once again. I was just stirring the pot a bit, nothing against the new member, just trying to liven the place up a bit Big smile. My wife says I am a natural instigator or is it agitator(or maybe something worse I either don't want to print or I just can't spell), I strive to do it in a good natured fun sorta way (doesn't always work out that way though) Embarrassed.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 3:45PM
LOL... "water on a duck's back" Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2017 at 1:48PM
ok, today the weather was decent enough to road test and tune the carb today Big smile
 i did 4 or 5 runs out on the open road with the 600 DP seems good... i did notice a very slight flat spot at less than 1/4 throttle very very minor!
 so then i installed this powerblast plate and retried it 4 or 5 times again... it did seem to have a little smoother transition now!
 is it worth the $40??? IDK but what the hell i've spent money on other parts over the years that either didn't work out or never got used or scrapped or traded or sold Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2017 at 2:48PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

ok, today the weather was decent enough to road test and tune the carb today Big smile
 i did 4 or 5 runs out on the open road with the 600 DP seems good... i did notice a very slight flat spot at less than 1/4 throttle very very minor!
 so then i installed this powerblast plate and retried it 4 or 5 times again... it did seem to have a little smoother transition now!
 is it worth the $40??? IDK but what the hell i've spent money on other parts over the years that either didn't work out or never got used or scrapped or traded or sold Confused

maybe try a different accelerator pump cam? maybe one with a more aggressive ramp?
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2017 at 2:58AM
50cc pumps with yellow or brown cams are the way forward.....all the fuel.....all the time
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2017 at 6:43AM
what does the advance curve look like, possibly over-advancing at that point?

~supposedly~ George Holley said to Henry Ford that 90% of carb problems are electrical

FWIW i just had to return my 2003 CVPI to stock for emissions, my X-cal II programmer allows me to advance above & beyond what the tuner put in, and i usually do Wink but with the stock flash I'm getting better low end TQ i suspect due to not over-advancing

mods include an Aviator throttle body (slightly larger), 2004 zip tube (better bends) Marauder filter box (larger inlet) and Marauder MAF (larger diameter). Haha it makes the 4bbl flipped air cleaner lid sound coming at you LOL and mellow glass packs going away (still has cats)

when i put it back to Cool I'm gonna try the aftermarket tune as-is for a bit before i tweak it
72 GT Ute

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2017 at 6:57AM
introducing new architecture into the venturi air stream can cause significant to drastic changes in distribution characteristics. factory carbs (lots of well educated experimentation & development) have tiny little flags or tabs on the booster venturis for the purpose of controlling / modifying fuel distribution. you might think they're just left over casting flash from mfg'ing but they're there on purpose. here's a pic of some crazy big tabs, many are less that 1/8 square and are important enough to be there. notice that they're not symmetrical probably because the carb came on a dual plane intake plenum
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/basics-restoring-carburetor-performance/#06-afb-carb-rebuild-tif

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2017 at 11:51AM
the one thing regarding timing that i did see was if i cracked it real fast from idle while in park that the advance when about half way and started to retard, but if i opened it a bit slower it advanced and continued through the advance range as it should! the main reason i decided to try this carb was #1 it's been sitting there in the garage staring at me for years #2 i figured a bit bigger carb may work better than the 450 holley that was on there, would stall if you jumped on it hard from an idle--it's a design flaw the advance hole is below the butterfly on those 450 mechanical 4 bbl's i've plugged and redrilled them above the butterfly--holley states not to use those particular carbs as a single carb, i'm guessing it has something to due with vacuum issues of a dual 4 tunnel ram????

but that "flat spot" as i called it was almost unnoticeable to me, the average person probably never would have noticed it at all!!

it runs well enough for my purposes Wink 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12