The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front pump reinstalled, trans locked up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Postma98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front pump reinstalled, trans locked up
    Posted: 12-July-2017 at 3:04AM
Hey guys, so i pulled the front pump on my mercury to replace the o-ring because it was leaking. I put the new seals back on and put it together. I put my car in nuetral yesaterday to roll it out of the driveway and the transmission was locked up. I pulled my front pump again and found that as i begin to tighten it down it locks up the input shaft and doesnt allow it to turn. Any thought guys?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2017 at 9:02AM
C6?? Does the input shaft have the "dimple" facing toward the engine, the input shaft will go in both ways but it won't fully seat inside the trans if installed with the dimple side installed in the trans. IIRC, the early C6 input shaft will go in either way, but in the later C6's it makes a difference. Another issue is the thrust washer behind the stator support, the thrust washer has a "tang" that locates it in the stator support, if not lined up correctly there will be no end play clearance. Hope this helps.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2017 at 3:29PM
I can tell you on an automatic...you want to spin the converter two different times to seat it in the pump.
Hopefully you didn't crack/damage the pump internals.

Did that on a fresh rebuilt 86 Mustang C5 one time, and not fun installing that trans twice.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 20-July-2017 at 3:30PM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply