The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Column shift to floor shift conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Column shift to floor shift conversion
    Posted: 19-September-2017 at 2:53PM
Has anyone here done this? I need to know if anything needs to be done to the transmission linkage. As I'm the linkage that actually comes out of the trans itself. I think I have everything I need except for the linkage rod from the shifter to the trans (C4). But still question the transmission mounted one. Any help would be great.
T
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2017 at 3:23PM
I converted my Elite from column to floor shift. It has an FMX so Im not sure if this will apply to the C4. I had to change out the lever on the side of the trans. It's different for a column shift and a floor shift. Blue Oval had the correct lever and the guy who does my trans work was very familiar with it. Its not back in the car yet, but I'm hopeful everything will line up.

Allen
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2017 at 5:29PM
the shifting shaft lever needs to be facing upwards for a floor shift. the torino FMX and C-6 levers are up due to being cable actuated, but if the C-4 was out of a vehicle that had column shift with a rod it will be facing down, and need to be flipped...pan and valvebody will have to be removed to access the nut on the inside for the shaft.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply