The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welding help?
    Posted: 10-February-2018 at 1:03PM
I got a Hobart handler 135 many years ago, use it for tacking little things, but have never been able to get a good knack on welding more involved projects. Anyone have any suggestions/tutorials? I fully expect to use my '73 project as a learning experience, but want to have some reasonable success as i start learning to weld better. Yeah, i know-- there's gonna be a learning curve......I'm a band director/music teacher with close to 30 yrs experience, so I get the 'gotta practice' thing. Fortunately, I'm a fast learner, too, but want to have some good reading ahead of time.......pics always help, too--'worth 1000 words.....'

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by hogfiddles - 10-February-2018 at 1:05PM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2018 at 1:11PM
lots of tutorials on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzBGZaS1apw

check into classes at the local community college
72 GT Ute

changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 1:34AM
Dave, I'm in the same boat. Been a trucker for the last 21 years before I took a teaching position at a local community college, so I have no experience with welding at all.  BUT....I decided I'm going to do what it takes to learn how to be, at a minimum, competent. YouTube has several really good videos and that's a good place to start if you don't live by a local school that has classes. Good luck and don't give up!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 10:57AM
material prep, proper consumables, angle speed & settings

72 GT Ute

hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 3:54PM
I've watched a lot of the videos on YouTube....... I know many are good, and at the same time, there's a lot of 'bonehead' videos out there, too.   

I guess I'll keep studying the ones that I think are 'good', and learn by doing/trying/etc.....

If anyone has a particularly outstanding video to suggest, though, I'll gladly watch and learn.

Thanks all
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 4:21PM
i learned by doing at the age of 10 Wink
look into the molten puddle as you are welding, watch what it's doing! you're not just adding metal on top, you want to melt and equally join both pieces and the filler weld Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 4:37PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i learned by doing at the age of 10 Wink
look into the molten puddle as you are welding, watch what it's doing! you're not just adding metal on top, you want to melt and equally join both pieces and the filler weld Wink
This is the truth. And practice all you can on scraps before attempting anything on the car. Another thing is to understand about how the heat effects the steel and results in warpage.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2018 at 4:43PM
yes warpage too especially when welding thin body panels!!!
 a good way to learn and see about the equal heat and proper penetration (that's what is called in welding, so keep the laughter to a minimum) is to try welding thin metal 1/8" or less with oxy/acetylene Wink same basica apply to all typs as well as TIG
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply