The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Manual Transmission Pedal from MDL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2019 at 4:05AM
Always great info. Would be great to see pictures.

One of my complaints with my GTS has been I had to modify the headers I had for my car.
I had old Dynomax Blackjack headers on my 1976 Ford Elite with my 351C and C4, but I figured when I put my engine into my GTS, I figured I had nothing to lose by chop-cut-weld into my 4 speed car. Took a bit of figuring out but I made a new pipe then had an exhaust ship bend me one up and I burned it into my header, to clear the Z bar.

I've discussed with Paul at Modern Driveline and John [BackinBlack} and with our clutch pedal, the travel/ratio is supposedly quite ideal compared to some other setups out there.

I'd love to see your Pedal set conversion however. 
As I've driven Foxbody's 87+ and also the SN chassis 2000-2001 GT with a 5 speed, I can say I loved the 2000's clutch feel. Granted it was a 4.6 GT with a hurst short throw shifter on a T45, and not my 351C/Toploader or the Tremec TR3550 combo.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
mean steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mean steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2019 at 4:28AM
The peddle that he designed is like how I originally started. Not a bad idea but it was the same thing for me, the headers. So everything started to get expensive. Not a fan of the snowball. Wss looking at hydraulic and decided the cable was the cheapest best way to go. Worked out great. 2000 mustang donor, paddle to throwout bering. I'm working on pictures (whole different story)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2019 at 4:24AM
PN MD-402-7276T-C doesn't pull up on their page yet Ermm
72 GT Ute

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2019 at 1:00AM
I went hydraulic because there just isn't much room to work with around the brake booster.   

I had to switch to hydroboost to make room.  The hydroboost is nearly a bolt in replacement.   One bolt hole had to be elongated. 

You can see the slave cylinder is really close to the mounting location of the brake booster, within 1/4 inch when assembled.

The position of the slave cylinder is perfect to allow the connecting rod to swing in an arc without binding.

It works perfectly.  I have no regrets.   I had to fabricate a push rod for the brake booster to master cylinder.   This is one of the places that sells a kit for a torino.

I also had to relocate the booster pin on the pedal to the correct height.  It is bascially 1/2" close to the pivot than the automatic pedal pin distance.

I hope this helps.  I was planning on doing some guide on this swap but i never seem to have the time.   I've been swamped trying to get my car to the paint shop combined with work and life.

BTW...I would also highly recommend welding in a sealed bearing race in the pedal brace to replace that plastic bushing.   I had mustangsteve.com do mine since I didn't have a welder at the time.  Well worth the extra money and effort.

Anyone have a better picture hosting service?  Photobucket is messing up the pics and trying to charge you for storage, even though they take ownership of your pics.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 02-October-2019 at 12:23PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2019 at 9:53AM
Whats the deal with photobucket....anyone have a recommendation for another pic host service?
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2019 at 12:24PM

Photobucket is nothing but problems, it ruined a lot of threads on here.  Your best bet is to upload the photos to your file manager on this site.  That way they are always available.  There is a how to thread and Californiajohnny even made a video if you need some help with the upload process.

I fixed your photos above.  They have been uploaded to the site now.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2019 at 3:28PM
happy belated birthday john Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2019 at 6:33AM
Wow...thanks bud!   You're not late.   Its in 7 days  Smile.   I hope to update some threads here soon.   My car is getting painted now.   I can't wait!
-John
1973 GTS
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2019 at 4:45AM
The clutch pedal not being listed on MDL's site has been something I have brought up, however you have to call them and just order it.

Also, modifying a set of headers at least for me wasn't a huge nightmare but the factory Z bar can be a PITA.

However, I plan on working on mine as well over the winter.
My GTS needs some attention in multiple spots. 10 years of bangshifting on the street, there are dues to pay...
72 ranchreo nrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ranchreo nrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2020 at 3:36PM
my understanding is 72-73 Torino 4 speed then they changed the firewall after that and stop the manual after 75-76? In the Torino 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2020 at 4:41AM
I think that is true.  I haven't every seen a manual torino or ranchero after 73.
-John
1973 GTS
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2020 at 4:07PM
i saw modern driveline had a clutch pedal for the 1972 and up torino but i read it as a oem pedal so I ignored it since there is probably never a need to replace the pedal. A conversion pedal for a automatic hanger is a needed part ranking right up there with 429 motor mounts for 1972 and up torino montego cougar etc.[actually pausing speechless right now about those engine mounts]I will with my spare original parts see if I can use this as a conversion pedal to a auto hanger. MD-402-7276 T-C $195 Also the frame side pivot bracket is unique to 1972 and up torino if  going with linkage vs hydraulic or cable. Thank You

Edited by stuck - 28-October-2020 at 4:38PM
michigan
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2020 at 4:51AM
72 GT Ute

stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2020 at 5:58AM
I talked to modern drive line and they are developing a kit for 72-76. Right now it sounded like(im not going to guarantee it yet) that pedal part# MD-402-7276-T-C along with roller bearing kit MD-411-1081 can convert a automatic transmission pedal hanger to a manual transmission hanger with pedal pivots not inline. So from what I know from memory in a 72-76 small block toploader application you would still need -
1. pedal to z bar rod,
 2.measurement for firewall hole,
 3.zbar  also called bellcrank (easy to make),
 4.frame pivot (can be made in 2 diameter choices 70 mustang small or     71-3 mustang larger like the oem 72 up Torino), 
5.bellhousing side  pivot  available 2 diameter choices again 70 small or   71-3 mustang large, 
6.clutch adjustment linkage(available goes between zbar and clutch fork   there is a few  similar choices for mustang),
7.clutch fork (available common to 70-73 351 mustang and 351m400 trucks) 
8.your choice 157 tooth flywheel and bellhousing with block shield   common to 302 or 164 tooth flywheel and bellhousing with block shield   common to 351c.
 By using a diaphragm pressure plate only any kind of pedal return spring is needed in a location of you choice. I recommend a spring also from fork to zbar even if you need to drill holes to attach spring. Some forks have a spring provision.
 Hydraulic clutch kit also72-76 MD-910-0072
The frame should have 2 hex shaped holes for frame side pivot and hex shaped rivet nuts are available for mounting frame side pivot.

Edited by stuck - 30-October-2020 at 6:09AM
michigan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2021 at 1:50PM
Originally posted by stuck stuck wrote:

i saw modern driveline had a clutch pedal for the 1972 and up torino but i read it as a oem pedal so I ignored it since there is probably never a need to replace the pedal. A conversion pedal for a automatic hanger is a needed part ranking right up there with 429 motor mounts for 1972 and up torino montego cougar etc.[actually pausing speechless right now about those engine mounts]I will with my spare original parts see if I can use this as a conversion pedal to a auto hanger. MD-402-7276 T-C $195 Also the frame side pivot bracket is unique to 1972 and up torino if  going with linkage vs hydraulic or cable. Thank You

The MDL pedal bolts in to the automatic pedal hanger. 
Modification of the factory automatic pedal is required. Basically trim the metal pad, and make it the width of the manual pedal set and install a brake pedal rubber pad for the manual transmission car, but it's a direct bolt in replacement.

Another thing to mention...if you call MDL and get ahold of Paul, at least at the time I was able to purchase a pedal for myself, they are giving a small discount off the pedal. Granted this was 2? years back but he was mentioning a slight discount.

What we need most is good videos showing people converting it over on places like Youtube and Instagram, with shoutouts to companies supporting us.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2021 at 1:57PM
Originally posted by stuck stuck wrote:

I talked to modern drive line and they are developing a kit for 72-76. Right now it sounded like(im not going to guarantee it yet) that pedal part# MD-402-7276-T-C along with roller bearing kit MD-411-1081 can convert a automatic transmission pedal hanger to a manual transmission hanger with pedal pivots not inline. So from what I know from memory in a 72-76 small block toploader application you would still need -
1. pedal to z bar rod,
 2.measurement for firewall hole,
 3.zbar  also called bellcrank (easy to make),
 4.frame pivot (can be made in 2 diameter choices 70 mustang small or     71-3 mustang larger like the oem 72 up Torino), 
5.bellhousing side  pivot  available 2 diameter choices again 70 small or   71-3 mustang large, 
6.clutch adjustment linkage(available goes between zbar and clutch fork   there is a few  similar choices for mustang),
7.clutch fork (available common to 70-73 351 mustang and 351m400 trucks) 
8.your choice 157 tooth flywheel and bellhousing with block shield   common to 302 or 164 tooth flywheel and bellhousing with block shield   common to 351c.
 By using a diaphragm pressure plate only any kind of pedal return spring is needed in a location of you choice. I recommend a spring also from fork to zbar even if you need to drill holes to attach spring. Some forks have a spring provision.
 Hydraulic clutch kit also72-76 MD-910-0072
The frame should have 2 hex shaped holes for frame side pivot and hex shaped rivet nuts are available for mounting frame side pivot.

Stuck...GREAT info. The Z bar and other parts, one of the issues I had in speaking with Paul and Bret, was they were only after the pedals for conversion needs. Ultimate idea was to make like what American Powertrain offers, with their universal slave cylinder kit for a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Personally...I like the manual Z bar linkage for the feedback feel I get on clutch engagement but it has it's issues. 

Also, I will bring this up for any manual transmission owners:
If you have not recently inspected your Z bar linkage assembly, I suggest safely blocking the wheels, set the parking brake, and pull the linkage rod for the pedal to Z bar.
Inspect the pivot points. 
From driving my GTS...and you all probably are aware I hammer on my car...I would strongly suggest inspection as at one point my bushings were blasted and I was basically sawing my linkage rod pivot off the rod!

I have also rebuilt a couple factory Z bar pivots.
I have been meaning to look for replacement options but Stuck, THANK YOU for that info.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 3:16PM
Just a followup, MDL now lists the retrofit pedal on their website. I have updated info on my original post.
peter.jenerette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter.jenerette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2023 at 4:18AM
Anyone used the MDL pedal with a stock ZBar yet? I'm about to start this journey and would like to know if anyone has an tips, pointers, or thoughts.

Thanks,
pete
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2023 at 9:24AM
John-
I am sorry it's been like 5?? years but just looking at old posts. Lack or emails might be how you have your profile set up on what you get emails on. 

I went in and looked at your settings, and not fully sure but you only have three specific items selected to get emails on, aside from individual posts/topics.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2023 at 9:29AM
I think like previously discussed, the biggest deal is narrowing the automatic brake pedal by trimming it down, and installing the pad for a manual transmission brake pedal.

Only other consideration is if you switch to a modern diaphragm style clutch kit, it eliminates the need to have the factory assist return spring that the stock 3 finger long style clutch kits required.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2023 at 9:45AM
A quick update seeing as how I am FINALLY on a new computer and not using a laptop with a tiny 13" screen or my phone to view the site. 

This year was one of this years the GTS decided to consume my wallet and pretty sure nibbling on my soul. I got really good at throwing my wallet at the GTS.

So the long of the short, the original engine for my Q code was sent out west for a rebuild. When I went to pick up my Engine, I detoured to MDL and after sitting down with Paul to deal with my old TR3550 which ate itself in a glorious fashion, I wound up buying a TKX for my car.

He also showed me some stuff they are working on for doing a hydraulic setup back in July.I need to touch base with him however MDL is working on new hydraulic kits to fit the 72-79 cars.

I'm really interested in it because I want to update to hydraulic to just run standard automatic headers for a Cleveland.
I love FPA (Ford Powertrain Applications) headers. They are a work of art. But they are priced accordingly and spendy to say the least, if you want to open that door to bang shifting goodness and use proper headers.

I am waiting to touch base with him because frankly...rebuilding my Cobrajet twice this year has not been fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12