The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Noob

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Noob
    Posted: 07-April-2018 at 9:49AM
 Hi all. I'm Jim and I'm here in Portland Or. I own a 1972 Formal Roof that has been parked for about 10 years. Had planned for short term storage but, life happened. She has a 351W and C6 and what I'm assuming is an open 9 inch with a 2.73 if I remember right. Power braking reveled the one dreaded one wheel peel. The big issue which lead to my parking her were, left quarter panel/wheel arch damage and, leaking rear window seal which was allowing water in the trunk, which started to rust. Rust is bad enough to poke a screw driver through it so, I need to address that as well. Interior is all there, front clip is ok.
 I've been back and forth on selling to some who needs a parts car or, starting into working on myself. I have a bad back and can't do some things as well as could in years past. Being a formal roof and nothing special I thought she'd be a good candidate for resto mod. Nothing too wild, original looks, modern performance. Ideally, a Plain Jane sleeper. I don't really feel constrained to keep her bone stock. Looking to hear from you all, Jim
chuxster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuxster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 10:20AM
Welcome to the forum Jim! I have a 73' formal roof, and I also chose not to go the bone stock route with it. Wish you luck with your project!
pdxjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 10:27AM
Thank you sir, I hope to find some inspiration/motivation.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 1:22PM
Welcome!! Love to see some pics.
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 1:56PM
welcome...  glad to have you

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 2:41PM
Welcome!Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 2:42PM
Welcome to the forum Jim!  Tabco makes repro quarters for our cars now.  I know there are several people on this site that have used them.  I am biased, but I hope you plan to fix the car.  There are lots of members here who can help you out with the project.  Resto-mod or sleepier would be cool.  Most of the members here have modded our cars in some way, from mild to wild.
Here's the quarters:

If you need help with posting photos, here's a how to thread:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 07-April-2018 at 2:43PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2018 at 4:29PM
welcome jim! i'm only an hour north of you! actually i was down in portland today at the portland swap meet Big smile and i have all kinds of misc torino parts too Wink
yes post some pics
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
pdxjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 7:12AM
I haven't made the swap meet in a long while. I'm glad the predicted storm didn't pack the punch it was supposed to. I'll post some pics once I get her out of storage, there's about a ton of stuff on top her that needs to come off beforehand. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 7:24AM
yeah i think the threat of major rain and wind scared many off! seemed like there wasn't as many vendors or spectators either...

Edited by californiajohnny - 08-April-2018 at 7:25AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
pdxjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 9:22AM
I don't know why they do it in April. The organizers travel if I remember right. I know the June Ford swap meet in Hillsboro works pretty good, weather wise. Spring time in the NW, hurricane force wind one day 70 degrees and sunny the next.
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 9:34AM
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing what direction you take her.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2018 at 10:07AM
Originally posted by pdxjim pdxjim wrote:

I don't know why they do it in April. The organizers travel if I remember right. I know the June Ford swap meet in Hillsboro works pretty good, weather wise. Spring time in the NW, hurricane force wind one day 70 degrees and sunny the next.
LOL Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply