The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clamping designations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clamping designations
    Posted: 04-June-2019 at 12:16PM
Hallo.  
I've an 73 Ford Gran Torino. I come from Germany. Our DIN Standard is a different from the ISO Standard. My problem is reading the american electrical clamping designations! I know only the German electrical clamping designations. Can someone send me a list of the individuell terminal designations  ?
Thanks
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2019 at 11:55PM
Can you get more specific on what you are looking for?  What wiring are you trying to repair?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Green Hornet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2019 at 6:45AM
I want to install the complete electrical Wire. So I need the Importent clamping designations! For example Ignition, ground, the lights .. 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2019 at 2:44PM

I don't really know anything about clamping designations and don't think you really need them to fix or re-wire a Torino.   Are you redoing all of the wiring in your car?

We do have a wiring diagram here on the website that might be helpful for you:

http://grantorinosport.org/librarymaintenance.htm

If you ask specific questions and post some pictures of the wiring you are working on, I am sure some of us can help you through you project.  
Vince

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2019 at 5:29PM
yeah vince i think he's asking about a schematic... not sure about DIN and ISO????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2019 at 7:25AM
For example. The clamping designation for the Ignition is 15 in Germany and 16 in the USA . So I need the other complete clamping designations. For the Front an Back Lights, for the alternator, for the battery . . .
T-Bird_79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bird_79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2019 at 9:03AM
Originally posted by Green Hornet Green Hornet wrote:

For example. The clamping designation for the Ignition is 15 in Germany and 16 in the USA . So I need the other complete clamping designations. For the Front an Back Lights, for the alternator, for the battery . . .
Get factory wiring diagrams (here or on Ebay) they will give You all the information You'll need-locations of connectors, wire colors, wire locations in connectors etc.
Andris
1979 Ford Thunderbird
1977 Opel Commodore Coupe Euro personal luxury car
1969 Vauxhall Viva small American
1989 Opel Kadett GSi 16V known as Pontiac LeMans
1978 Moskvitch 412 Soviet rally
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2019 at 1:30PM

Do you meant the wire gauge?  Like the ignition wire is 16 gauge?  If so, this site will convert AWG to metric:

Otherwise, you just need a wiring diagram.  The link I posted above is the 1973 Torino wiring diagram.  It's not the factory one, but it's still very good.  You can buy a factory one off eBay:

You can also get a universal wiring harness if you are rewiring the entire car:

Or you could try to find good used wiring harness from North America and have them shipped to you in Germany.

Hopefully this helps.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2019 at 12:21PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2019 at 12:28PM
This is Our DIN Norm for some clamping designations..
I have all original circuit diagrams. My problem lies in being able to read the individuell terminal designations . 
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2019 at 1:12AM

My problem lies in being able to read the individuell terminal designations . 
Your problem lies in that being a load of Bibble-Babble.

It appears to be a system of designating circuits on a wiring diagram, and appears useful, until they declare that the designations need not be marked on the actual wires.
Makes for wonderful process diagrams that are next to useless.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
NeillNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeillNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2019 at 11:40PM
Could this be what you need? This is from 1972.

doc76251 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc76251 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2019 at 11:53PM
I think we are getting lost in translation.  Clamping designations may mean Terminal designations on the gauge cluster plug.  Add into the mix that there are a couple different cluster plugs in that era 14pin, 15 pin and 18pin (IIRC and I'm probably wrong).  My 77 Chero has a 14 pin connector block to hook up the instrument cluster.

Cheers,

Doc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2019 at 8:56AM
Thanks. This is exactly this what I need. 
 Post Reply Post Reply