The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Cougar door glass interchange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Cougar door glass interchange
    Posted: 24-August-2019 at 9:32AM
Hello,

Is the door glass from an Elite (1976) the same as for a 74 Cougar?

And if it is, what kind of tools do you need to remove the glass? Do you need to grind or drill out rivets, etc.

Thanks!
Joe
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2019 at 11:41AM
I believe they are the same. I drilled out the rivets. To re-install I used short machine screws with nylon nuts.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2019 at 3:39PM
should be the same glass, 1/8" pin punch to knock the steel pin of the rivets out, then 1/4" drill to drill the rivets Wink unless you see nuts on the bracket then someone's already changed it Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
jhggtsf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2019 at 7:24AM
Thanks guys!

Any tricks to removing the door panel without destroying anything?
Joe
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2019 at 3:05PM
use a long slotted door panel removal tool, cheap at most auto parts storesWink (make sure the slot is around the clip not just on one side you can feel the clip as you slide it between the door and panel)  a 3/8 socket slim or a nut driver for the 2 armrest screws, and a phillips screw driver for the window crank screw, once its loose lift it away from the door just enough to clear the inner door handle mechanism the lift up and some slapping of the top of the panel as you work it up and off Big smile oh and a 7/16 socket to remove the inner door handle...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2019 at 3:13PM
Thats pretty detailed! I was just going to say "Be careful"
jhggtsf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2019 at 3:19PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

use a long slotted door panel removal tool, cheap at most auto parts storesWink (make sure the slot is around the clip not just on one side you can feel the clip as you slide it between the door and panel)  a 3/8 socket slim or a nut driver for the 2 armrest screws, and a phillips screw driver for the window crank screw, once its loose lift it away from the door just enough to clear the inner door handle mechanism the lift up and some slapping of the top of the panel as you work it up and off Big smile oh and a 7/16 socket to remove the inner door handle...

Thanks for the instructions John, that was very helpful.

My drivers door glass was so loose it was rotating forward a horrible amount and rattling in the door with every bump. Turns out pretty much every bolt was less than finger tight.

Took a little while but I've got it much better now. Still rotates a little bit; looks like the holes in the nylon parts that ride up and down on the vertical rod is allowing this. Is this normal or have they worn sloppy?
Joe
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2019 at 5:32PM
could be worn but likely they are cracked??? i have several nice plastic guides for the track let me if and what all you need Wink also check the 2 anti rattle clips they slide in towards the glass to keep it from flopping in and out when the window is up, the felt and rubber on those are probably bad! i have a few good used ones of those too...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply