The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wagon rear window fix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stallings.sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wagon rear window fix
    Posted: 02-September-2019 at 12:38AM
1974 gran torino squire wagon rear window problem. 
My car has an electric tailgate window that was working perfectly the other day.  I rolled it up and now it won't go back down.  I took the tailgate door panel off and everything looks clean, no rotten or chewed wires. The motor turns when I take it off but when its in place it just clicks like the actual window mechanism is locked up.  I can grab the window itself and force it down and back up so it doesn't seem like anything is binding, but even when the window is forced down it won't go up or down any further.  All the switches work, nothing looks bent, no rust on anything.  Like I said, it was working perfectly then just stopped.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  I don't really want to take the whole thing apart but at this point I think I may have to. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2019 at 4:25PM
hard to say.. maybe one of the wagon guys will see this and know??? bad connections at the plug?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
stallings.sean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stallings.sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2019 at 1:20AM
update...I figured it out... the gears in the window motor are all chewed up so I need new guts for the motor.  Does anyone know where I can get one or the brand and part number.  I went to my local advance auto and the ones they sell don't work.  I need one with 7 teeth on 45 spline not the typical 9 teeth on 45 spline.  Just the motor guts would be fine as the motor works great but if I have to replace the whole motor that's ok too. All that being said, the rear door and internal parts look great which makes me happy.  
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2019 at 3:30AM
Sorry I am little late in responding, but I had this same issue with my wagon. The gears inside were completely gone leaving behind a big mess. 

Here is a video of basically the repair:

Also I only replaced the 3 round plastic plugs similar to the ones below, which did the trick. I picked mine up at Auto Zone. 

Ford Lincoln Mercury Power Window Regulator Motor Gear Plugs Pins Rollers-Delrin

I hope this helps!

I have also seen where guys use ball bearing to avoid future issues, but I went with the plastic ones.   

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
 Post Reply Post Reply