The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 front on a 73?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 front on a 73?
    Posted: 06-September-2019 at 10:05PM
I figure there has to be a thread or 2 on this, but I am not finding any.Embarrassed
So if someone could point me to some I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 5:21AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 6:08AM
We also have this thread that helps with the fender differences:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 8:58AM
Thanks, guys.
Big help.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
Took out a loan from my 401k to either fix our Forester or buy something else for a daily driver. Forester needs a bunch of stuff(including a/c), plus the viscous coupling (all wheel drive) is showing sounds of being on it's way out. So I don't feel comfortable spending a lot on it at the moment. I can do bits and pieces here and there and keep it going as a backup.

I've found a 73 Ranchero. Seems in good shape, but I will have to go over it with a microscope. Learned that lesson with the 72. Problem is no a/c. Not sure if the seller means literally no a/c, or just a/c isn't working. Eventually I would swap the 72 front end on it, but I've had to promise my wife that this  one won't become a project any time soon. We really do need a daily driver. Thinking of adding something like a Vintage Air underdash setup soon if it really has NO a/c. Really do need a/c here in the desert.
That is where my heart is.

My brain is saying get a Ford Ranger. Several of them around in our price range. All with ice cold a/c. Wife likes newer, I don't. Hard/impossible for me to work on much.

The 72 is so far down the rust hole I have pretty much decided it isn't happening. I need/want the engine for my 79 Pinto. I would take all the front swap stuff off of it now, plus anything else that seems worth keeping, and then scrap it and the 74 Pinto wagon in the back yard. Move the 79 where the 72 is now, out of street sight.
Whether or not I get the 73, I am likely going to do this with the 72.

Supposed to be getting the check Monday or Tuesday, it's already been sent.

Decisions, decisions. I never seem to make the right one.

Thanks,
Russ
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 9:19AM
on a loan i wouldn't be considering anything over 45 years old for daily bring home the bacon transportation

time to bite the bullet and roll in something you don't want anyone to see you in

something that gets close to 30mpg or better. with A/C

you're in AZ, tint the windows Cool

or a southern / desert shell that you can keep running, budget for an aftermarket A/C kit
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 9:55AM
Well, I'll take that as one no to the 73 vote.
Not that I am going to go by any voting.
LOL
30mpg? Not on my budget. Max of $4000. Not $4001.
The thing about the 73 (other than air) is it is something I can keep running. Assuming I do my job on checking it out first.
Anything in our budget will be at least 20 years old. Remember, around here things don't rust away.
As far as being seen driving it, I'm not that thrilled about being seen driving a 73. Been driving a 2010 Subaru Forester for almost 10 years.  Again, not that thrilled. I've had to drive a LOT of cars that weren't my idea of fun cars. The 72 actually made me smile while driving it. Have to go back to my 70 GTO for that sort of reaction. Drove that car for 5 years with no a/c, needing paint, clutch every six months or so, but that was over 30 years ago.

But your input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 10:05AM
 i think what rock meant was buying a daily driver car  for regular use besides your project cars? 90's-early2000's honda accords or toyota camerys are reasonable and reliable cars for daily driversWink and should be fair priced, ranger would be fine tooBig smile  especially if you can find something from a private seller and preferably from an older person! that was taken care of, lower miles and not trashed and rallied by kids Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 10:36AM
Yeah, I understood. Smile
Guess I forgot to mention it HAS to be a truck. Or have a bed. I don't consider Rancheros to be trucks. Just a car with a bed.
The 72 was getting close to 17mpg, the Forester is getting about 23. For the amount of driving I am doing to/from work, I can live with the difference. It's about 13 miles each way.
Yes, I am leaning heavily towards the Ranchero. But that could all change once I take a look at it in person.

Story time
My dad bought my nephew a car/truck. don't remember. He is one of those that goes thru everything when buying. He know all the tricks. Just don't ever buy a car from him. He thought it was a great deal. Then the check engine light came on while driving to the emissions place. Here, check engine light being on is an automatic fail. That is the kind of stuff that worries me about newer vehicles.

I know, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. But I am more comfortable with the older stuff. Especially when it comes time to fix something.

The only project car will be my 79 Pinto if I get the 73. Maybe even if I don't. The 73 won't be touched other than maintenance stuff. For at least 2 years. We need two running/driveable cars. Now, once the Pinto is running/driving, all bets are off.
For now, the Forester will need some work. Stuff I can do, like struts/brakes. Maybe even a/c, as I plan on getting the tools needed to do that at some point. The fluid coupler, not so sure. Supposed to be as easy as changing the clutch, but on these I don't think that is very easy.

Thanks,
Russ

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 11:07AM
IDK couldn't tell you on that... i too prefer the older stuff Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 11:37AM
my point was, one thing about a DD, it absolutely positively has to start every 0 dark:30 and make A to B to A

yeah you can probably fix anything but the auto trans on the 73 Ranchero
but as a DD a broken timing chain on the 3rd day or taking a week off to go through the motor won't be Hug

what would $4k do for the Forrester, the Evil Smile you know, viscous thingamajag and A/C?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 7:22PM
Well, the $4k would PROBABLY fix it all.
Although I would have to take it to a dealer to see how much it would be to fix/replace that viscous coupler. And that is all my fault. We ran over something over a year ago that ruined a tire. Tire shop said it was ok to just replace the bad tire. Well, on these, no it isn't. All four tires have to be the same diameter. I didn't know that at the time. I do now.
It also has a serious engine oil leak, could be simple, could be serious.

For now I am more comfortable keeping it as a backup car that I can work on here and there. Just keep it running and hope that coupler doesn't go. Brakes, no problem. Struts, I can replace them, but will have to get it to a shop for a front alignment. Clutch is a no go for me. Dealer charged like $1500 5 years ago. Needs tires. Lots of little stuff that isn't a show stopper, but needs done.

But then we would still be short a truck. We really need a second vehicle. Something happens to me right now my wife would have to take an uber or something, and just before payday we don't always have the money.

I am going to get some a/c tools, manifold, vacuum pump. I will need it when I get my Pinto to that point. And I might as well start troubleshooting/fixing my Subaru. Might cost more than it would to fix the Subaru, or at least diagnose it, but then I will have the tools forever. We had the compressor replaced last year. My dad took it to someone he knows (Ford dealer mechanic) who works on other cars on the shop's down time. Well, that was cheap, but probably a mistake. He only replaces parts that you give him, and I am not sure he checked anything else out. Not doing that again.
And I will have it to do the a/c for the 73 if I get it, or to work on anything else I end up with.

Thanks,
Russ
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2019 at 1:47PM
dumb question, but didn't you get the same size tire when you needed a tire?
Same size, same brand should be fine. difference in diameter from tread wear isn't enough to matter, that is the purpose of the viscous coupling. (essentially a torque converter)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2019 at 8:56PM
Same size, yes, but not same brand.
And the tires on the car were used to begin with.
And I didn't realise it at the time, but the guy sold us their most expensive tire in the store brand, we could have gotten 4 new tires for only a little more. Wasn't thinking straight at the time obviously. And we won't ever go back to that place again, either.
While we were waiting, every customer there seemed to be there to get something corrected that the store had done wrong. and they were pretty vocal about it.
Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2019 at 4:24AM
same size / different brand highly not likely to be the same revolutions per mile diameter

even same brand new / worn will be significantly different, Pi & all that

good reason to keep a spare in rotation sequence

Edited by Rockatansky - 10-September-2019 at 4:40AM
72 GT Ute

BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2019 at 6:35AM
I did the 72 to 73 front clip swap. It's not difficult at all.

Remove both front clips. Measure the frame rails od the 72 from the forward most crossmember to the BACK of the bumper mount. On the 73, cut the frame rails at that measurement and weld a pre-drilled (pattern from 72 bumper mount pad)  1/4" flat plate at that location. When you bolt on the fenders, you will need to drill and use a threadsert for the attatchment point for the firewall. Use the 72 clip hood latch and eliminate the inside hood release.
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2019 at 11:57AM
I am doing the same swap, but I am actually sliding a ‘72 frame under my ‘73.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2019 at 12:55PM
cut the horns short & instant bumper tuck?
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2019 at 5:06PM
I will be installing a '76 HD wagon frame under a '72 Squire wagon. Will be doing the front frame horn swap on it. I wanted the far more robust frame on the '76 under this wagon.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2019 at 1:11PM
IS THE 76 FRAME THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IN STRENGTH THAT THE 72, 
Ouch

GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2019 at 2:11PM
not that I’m aware of..... the ‘73+ bumpers where heavier and attached differently—- otherwise they’re about the same as far as I know  
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2019 at 4:26AM
The frame on my '76 wagon is far more robust than the '72 wagon frames. Examples: fully boxed rear, larger diameter rear area, front has a robust "X" bracing between the engine crossmember and the front crossmember below the radiator support, etc. Enough of a difference to warrant the swap, plus I get the large bearing rear end and better front suspension (compatible with '77-'79 parts).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2019 at 4:27AM
If you park them side by side and lay underneath them, it is very apparent. When I start the swap this winter, I'll make some pictures. My '76 wagon was a loaded 460 with the factory towing package, and where the factory dual exhaust hanger brackets mounted is even slightly different. Body mounts are the same. Rear bumper brackets will need to be fabricated to adapt the rear '72-'73 bumper and the '72 front frame horns will need to be swapped.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2019 at 5:25AM
JOE . 
 now that you say the x bracing seen that on a 74 elite .never looked a t any thing older than that in the iN FORD  Family any hows 

December 26th i will be up your way ,Dec,22nd 2019 good for the picking of your tailgate and jamb 
 Andy ,352-854-1105 land line 
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2019 at 8:23AM
Sounds great, Andy. I'm sure we'll talk between now and then.

Joe
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply