Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shifter cable woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter cable woes
    Posted: 19-December-2008 at 12:03PM
So I dragged my Cougar into the garage. Lo and behold, bad shifter cable #3.

You guys with aftermarket shifters, how the hell are you routing the cables so they don't go near the headers? the headers for a 429/460 and a C6 leave NO room. I'm about to track down a factory shifter, because this is ridiculous.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2008 at 1:55PM
i know that with the floor shift on my torino a 74 with 351 c i had the trans shop to take
an inch out of the shifter lever at the base of the trans because it wouldn't clear the headers. they cut it short and welded it back together. works good! of course it has no shifter cable.
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 2:35AM
OK, it exists out infront of the shifter & circles around the passenger side keeping it above the trans crossmember. Loop around the back of the trans & tie it to the tailstock. You can't go above the crossmember on the drivers side so encase the cable in a metal tube/pipe (I just use a piece of 1/2 in. copper) & wrap the ends with some kind of heat protective tape. Been using this method for 25 years. Works great. If you have open headers make sure the pipe is long enough to protect against the blast area, but not too long where you can't turn the cable at the back of the tailstock. I hope I explained this clear enough?
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 3:24AM
Mine follows how you describe. Forward, on top of the bellhousing, wraps around, down the passenger side, under the tailshaft, and between the crossmember and exhaust.

I don't have open headers at all.

How long is the pipe? the length of the crossmember, or did you go as long as you could before the bracket, and back up to where it begins to bend?

I am running the 5 ft cable, so I dont really have sharp bends (so I thought).

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 7:29AM
I'm not sure & can't get to it at this time. I think it's about 10-12 in. long. Starting from where the cable nuts onto the pan bolt mounted bracket & it goes under the cossmember which is tight & gives it a downward angle. I just used a scrap piece I had around the garage. You could probably do a nicer job with some time. Mines just a race car.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2008 at 4:56AM
I modified my transmission cross member to allow my 3.5" exhaust pipes to have a straight run from my Hooker headers back with lots of clearance, this also gave me room to run my shifter cable straighter. The draw back was that made the cross member very weak, so my mechanic made removable plates to bolt up underneath (slightly rounded) to add more strength to the cross member. I ran my B&M shifter cable over top of the trans and the heat melted the jacket, so I bought another cable and wrapped it with DEI "Heat Shroud" the whole length with no problems after that.  http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=39

Post Reply Post Reply