The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help on building a 302 with a weiand tunnelram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help on building a 302 with a weiand tunnelram
    Posted: 01-January-2009 at 8:57AM
I my name is Ricardo and i live in holland, i`m restoring a 1972 ford torino station wagon "base" model, i have my plans strayt out but the engine is a little of a problem. this is what i already have:5.0 block with one piece rear main seal, a pair of patriot performance heads 60cc chambers ,full MSD ignition ,weiand tunnel ram and 2 450cfm holley carbs.
who can help me on finish this engine give me the advice on the rest of the parts i need.thanks
drive fast ,drive ford
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 5:38PM
Welcome to the forum!!I forsee a problem with that tunnelram.They are not the best choice for a street car or something you want to drive regularly.Tunnel rams are more for a race only car,as they need a lot of compression and cubic inches to make flow properly,not to mention rpm's.They are more of an upper rpm manifold and you will more than likely have a lot of drivability issues with it,not to mention tuning two carbs and your trying to move a 4000 pound plus car with it.You should really be using a dual plane intake and like one 650 carb size.You want to build torque and that intake won't help at all.Tell us what your plans are for driving it,daily,weekly,car shows?Budget for motor build?The heads are a good choice.You have a 5.0 block,should be a roller cam block if it came from a mustang,did it?do you know what year block is?There's a lot that goes into a motor,need answers to the questions.
galhetas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2009 at 4:51AM
he' Ralph thanks for the reply on my post, here are some answers on what you ask me :the block came out a 1986 t-bird whith 86k miles on it, i want to drive it on a weekly basis and to shows but also to be able to make a long trip. but the problem is al my friends hier in holland have Hondas Renault and tht kind of toy`s cars they all say that this car are for old people and that they are slow turtles and i want to proof them they are wrongh, my torino is the only one base model station wagon in holland .let me now what are your idea for a nice 302, my goal was 375hp or more because i realy want to kick some ass whith this car, by the way i am planing on putting a aod-4 on this car whith a shift kit,and i also now that wheel make alot a deal i am runnig 295-40 20r on the back and 235-40 18rup front what gears should i use?
drive fast ,drive ford
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2009 at 1:22PM
I'm not sure if that is a roller cam block.The easiest way to check is look in the lifter valley area in the center.If there are 2 small threaded holes in the center,lengthwise,it is a roller block.Let me know on that.I build quite a few 5.0 mustang engines in my shop and pretty much the average stock 5.0 engine with all the bolt on's,heads,intake.cam,headers and exhaust will make about 350-360 hp at the crank.You can improve on these numbers by raising compression from the stock 9:1 to 10.3 to 1 and pick up another 30 or so hp.Another popular option is a 347cid stroker kit.Since you have a bare block and you need all the internals anyway,I think this is the way to go.Prices are very reasonable for the kits,like $700 to $1000,depending on who's you buy.You will easily be over 400 hp,probably closer to 425hp.We could put a nice combo together to help you smoke the little cars!!An AOD is a great choice and here's why,it allows you to run a lower gear ratio like a 3.90 or 4.10 and in overdrive on the highway you'll still cruise at a nice lower rpm for the highway.An example,I had a 1990 5.0 mustang with 4.30 rear gear,AOD with a 2500 stall converter,it was a beast off the line,but on the highway I 'd cruise at about 2600 rpm,not bad.It would also help move your car off the line much better with more gear,you'd smoke those little cars!In my 76 Starsky Torino car resto,you can check it out in the 72-76 forum,it's always near the top under 76 S&H PAINT PICS,I'm using the AOD with a B&M non lockup 2500 stall converter behind a 351W stroked to 427 cubes,fuel injected the whole ball of wax.You can see full pics of the trans and motor in the thread.The whole restoration is documented from the start.I would say either the 3.90 or 4.10 gear,if your leaning more highway,then go with the 3.90 gear,if not 4.10 gear.Do you have those wheels on the car already?I'd like to see some pics of them on your car.Do you have access to a machine shop to redo your block?With the 347 kit there's only some minor clearancing that needs to be done at the bottom's of the cylinder bores,nothing major.Any good machine shop can do this.Also if you get the stroker kit,the assembly needs to be balanced with the flexplate and balancer,again most good machine shops can do this.There are quite a few members on here with torino and mercury station wagons.If I where you I put up a post with your name and car info in the 72-76 forum,introduce yourslef and get some pics up.Let me know what you think of these suggestions.Ralph
galhetas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 3:11AM
He Ralph i took a look at the block and it as the 2  holes you mention it , and i also thouth about a stroker kit but the one`s i saw on summit racing they where quiet expencive. the other problem is machine shop`s here in holland there aren`t mutch and the one`s that exist are very pricie.the wheels i still dont have it but if you look at the web side www.coyswheel.com the ones i order it are de c-5 model.i am happy that you think that a aod is a good choice , but do you think i have to cut down the driveschaft to get it fit?by the whay i saw your pics of restoration of your chassis could you send me some detail pics of if to my email ricardo_g90@hotmail.com. let me no of the combo you have in mind for the engine. thanks for the quick reply on my post.
drive fast ,drive ford
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 6:34AM
That's good,you have a roller cam block,a big improvement over a flat tappet cam.This means you don't have to worry about cam breakin as the roller cams are steel and require no breakin.Summit can have good buys on some items,but not all.EAGLE makes a very good stroker kit thats very affordable,under $1000,I think like $800-$900.If you check on ebay there are some good kits on there in that price range or even a little less.Regardless,your going to want to redo that block,putting together all new motor and not machining the block isn't to wise in my opinion.Your making a rather decent investment in the motor,I'd redo it if you can.Actually the driveshaft is a direct swap in a 2 door torino body,you have the wagon,which is a longer wheelbase,but your shaft should be longer also,so it should be fine as is.What trans did your car have originally?The C-4 and AOD use the same yoke on the front of the shaft.Do you have any other parts to engine now or just the block?To buy new crank,rods,pistons for a stock 302,your going to spend probably $400-$500 at least,that's why I suggested a stroker kit,for a few hundred more your stepping up in a big way and getting all new parts,not a reconditioned crank and rods.Check out the ones on ebay.I would say,let me know what your total budget is for the engine.Are you going to put it together yourself?If your going to stay with stock 5.0 internals,then you can just get a stock rotating assembly for it with stock flattop pistons,with the heads you have,you'll have about 9.7 to 1 compression which is good.For cam you'll need a roller cam for carb application,comp cams is the best choice,along with a set of stock 5.0 roller lifters and chain kit.You'll need the roller lifter retainer plate and stock tiebars to secure the lifters in the block,summit has the retainer plate and bolts in a kit.I don't know if they sell the 8 tiebars though,you'd have to get a set.Do the heads you have use screw in studs for roller rockers?
galhetas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 10:05AM
he Ralph i just order it a stroker kit from enginekits.com code 347sk whith flat top pistons, 10.2;1 / 60cc heads what do you think of my choise?i`m also looking for a machine shop to get the engine bored 0.030 and honed .i have the rotating part the ignition ,the heads, what do you think that i whould need next?
drive fast ,drive ford
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 3:44PM
Nice choice,that engine is going to run good!!!You'll need the cam and all related parts like I mentioned in the last post.An oil pump,I reccomend a high volume pump,motorsport or melling brand are good.Also a new oil pump pickup tube for 302.Make sure you get it for the1972 torino body,not an 86 t-bird,different oil pans and a new oil pan for1972 torino.Stay away from the high pressure ones.Also a new oil pump driveshaft,get a stronger one,chrome moly steel,there cheap and good insurance.Just make sure you ordered the .030 engine kit.We have it mostly covered,except for the cam and such.Also get a timing chain set for the block,for 86 t-bird,you can get one of those double roller styles.Do you have a timing cover?
galhetas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2009 at 4:57AM
he Ralph i have the chain cover that was originali on the engine ,i now that`s for an efi engine but i want to run with an eletric fuel pump and electric water pump from csr to have less drag on the engine, and yes the kit is 0.030. for oil pump i have choose one from milodon part nr:mil-18800 at summit racing. wat cam do you think that i should use ? and dont forget the intake and carb. If we can get the power out of the engine that yu mention that whould be very nice.in the begining i also touth on going with a weind supercharger put the price they ask for it here in holland was to high, but i think that woukd be very nice combo also a 347 stroker with a supercharger. i forgot to say that i also have the headers they are from hooker and are ceramic coated partnr:hok-6901-1hkr at S.R.
drive fast ,drive ford
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2009 at 4:41PM
Use that timing cover if your going to run electric fuel pump and it will work with the electric water pump.I would call competition cams and have them help you with a cam choice.Roller cams for carb versus efi have different specs and they can help you choose the right one.Your going to want a crab with electric choke to help on start up.I'll take a look and get back to you.The supercharger you can't run with that much compression,like 9.0 to 1 is max.
galhetas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 6:32AM
he ralph have you heard something from compcams?by the i got some stuf for the oiling system every thing is from Milodon :oil pan 8quarts with stroker clearense,oil pump/pick up high pressure and volume and a chromemoly drifschaft, what do you thing is that ok for the engine. i lookt a roud for the pics of you torino and i have to say theeemmmmmmm that car is of the hook and the engine is like a jewel what is the power of that thing?hope to hear something from you soon.
drive fast ,drive ford
 Post Reply Post Reply