The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > FE Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

390 stroker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 390 stroker
    Posted: 10-January-2009 at 3:41PM
Question: does anyone have a real deal fuel- injection system (either factory or after market) for a 390 stroker, not a carberator type bolt on but with injectors,computer ect.? I have given up on replacing the 427 with a stroked 390 (445C.I.) injecting it and supercharging. Should render about 750 to 800 h.p. Most of the systems are simply adanced carb type which is not what I want. Can anyone steer me to a manufacturer?
death to tuners!
StrokerDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrokerDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 6:49AM
 The only alternatives I am aware of besides the carb manifold would be to convert an Algon mechanical unit. You didnt mention what heads you have,but you could also use the Cobra weber manifold Ingleese is converting these as well. Personally for the expense I dont believe its worth the trouble.

SyrokerDave
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 7:41AM
Looks like I'll be using Edelbrock heads, I like the specks more than even the Carrol Shelby "Cobra" heads. I'm on a mission now so I'm looking for MAJOR h.p. not for quarter mileing but freeway flying, plus Edelbrock is about the only company that makes FE heads and they also make a f.i.system so I'll look into it a little more. Should be able to run at least 12 to 14 lbs of boost. Ideas from anyone now being asked for on this. Thanks
death to tuners!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrokerDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 2:02PM

Edelbrock or Shelby heads are not the last or latest word in FE head design. Have you looke at Blue Thunder or the new totally billet canted valve heads that are available?

StrokerDave

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 3:40PM
I would avoid the edelbrock or holley F.I. systems.They are speed density systems and you will have nothing but headaches with them,especially with your combo your planning.I did a lot of research on them and they are a nightmare to tune,if you even can.I'm using the massflo efi kit and it uses the 5.0 mustang computer,which uses a mass air flo meter,which is the way to go.All 89 up mustangs were mass air flo cars from factory.I do a lot of 5.0 mustang work in my shop and also had a 90 5.0 mustang modified with nitrous,stock computer and it ran fabulous at the track and on the street.The 5.0 mustangs are the best cars to modify because the mass air meters allow for massive mods with the stock computer.Go onto his site mass-floefi.com,check it out and you'll be hooked.The price is about the same versus the others and way better.If you want to see pics of it go into the 72-76 torino forum and go under my 76 S&H TORINO RESTO PICS.there's plenty of pics in there of the whole kit,install.It fired right up first turn of the key,took a couple minutes to level out the idle and then purred like a kitten.If you call them ask for  chris,tell him you know Ralph at fastimes auto in hyde park,ny,he'll be happy to talk to you.

Edited by starsky76 - 12-January-2009 at 3:42PM
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 3:59PM
Yeah, went through that speed-density vs. mass-air controversy with my 89 Bronco. Which had speed-density on her 351w, after MAJOR engine mods including a Paxton sn93 supercharger it would'nt get out of it's own way and ran like DOO DOO! After talking to and purchaseing a mass air conversion kit, OH MY GOD did that thing come alive! she will light up the 38x13.5 x17's like nothing. But Mustangs are small blocks, what about the intake ? I really want to have direct injection. By the way the kit I got for the Bronco came from Ford Racing and it's not in their cataloge any more.   Thanks
death to tuners!
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 4:15PM

Mass flo may not have an fe intake ready to go,but they can weld on the injector bungs on any intake,it's not that difficult.They do big blocks also and even chevys.I would call them and tell them what you are doing.Since your doing a blower,maybe either buy and send them your intake to modify or see what chris says.There systems will handle 1000hp easy,so yours is very doable.I'd just call them,chris is very easy to talk to.Great customer support.

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 4:17PM
You going to do a roots type blower or another centrifigual?The intake I mentioned above was presuming a roots blower.If your going to do another paxton or procharger,then you just need a single plane intake,even easier!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrokerDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 4:38PM

I found a couple near you to check out for injection pieces. www.twminductions.com they do the weber style also try Fuel Injection Engine Co. in Aliso Viejo Ca. Oh btw if you decide to go with a 6:71 style Blue Thunder makes a manifold.Smile

StrokerDave

capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 5:06PM
You know what? I am so happy with the Paxton that I would like to go the same way again. I want every thing to be under the hood. Now the coil over suspension I'm looking at advertises that it will accept ANY motor, I've got a growing thing in my head (might be a tumor) about a stroked 460, But thanks for all the info guys, I'll talk to these people and get suggestions and advice and decide which way I want to go.
death to tuners!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrokerDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 5:17PM
 We went the stroked 460 route in my boys Tbolt clone and were very pleased btw jack I see your from San Diego I have many fond memories of Bruce Crowers shop bench racing

StrokerDave
 Post Reply Post Reply