The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torino I’m looking at

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gto19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torino I’m looking at
    Posted: 12-June-2020 at 3:54AM
Hi guys 
I’m a Pontiac gto guy but this car is close to me and I’ve always liked the Torino . What do you guys think ?

Any help , tips , what’s right what’s wrong will be appreciated. I do know this car came with a bench but he added the correct buckets and console to the car 

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2020 at 1:00PM
Wow Shocked !
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2020 at 2:03PM
Obviously, the engine had at least a Krylon rebuild (overspray on wire loom)
Block is cast "352" which was used with 352, 390. Wasn't aware they were used for 428. But Ford may have used the outer molds with a different core mold. FE engines all look the same, so i would check the numbers on the block carefully. 428 is externally balanced.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2020 at 2:23PM
What a sharp looking car!  At least the Marti confirms it is a real 428 car.  These were pretty rare in 1968 since it was introduced partway through the model year.  I am no expert on these early Torinos, so hopefully some guys with more experience on these cars will chime in.  

I did notice a few things on this car. I am not sure if you are looking for a 100% correct stock car.  The pic posted in the reply above of the engine shows that is has an aftermarket modern distributor.  Like Randy says, check to make sure it is the correct engine for the car. 

This rear undercarriage shot shows that it has overload shocks.  Not a big deal, but obviously not correct.  Maybe it's compensating for sagging rear springs?

I also noticed in this pic of the trunk, it looks like possibly a rust stain on near the left wheel house?  It might be worth a closer examination.  At minimum, I'd want to see the whole trunk floor.

If you are close by to this car, I'd go look at it in person. He's asking a lot of money for this car, so I'd want to lay eyes on it to ensure it is worth that kind of coin.  Keep us posted.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
gto19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gto19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2020 at 2:59PM
thanks guys 
Keep the info coming . Where did they stamp the vin on the block and on the tranny ? 
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2020 at 3:30PM
Sides and lower area.
"352" was cast into a LOT of FE blocks, including some 428s cast at DIF foundry, but...
Caveat Emptor.

Edited by Big Bird - 13-June-2020 at 1:50AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2020 at 5:17PM
Sweet ride. Lot of coin but would look good in my garage. I always add 100k miles when I look at cars that old unless it is proven with service records or lots of barn dust.
 Post Reply Post Reply