The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil modification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil modification
    Posted: 16-August-2020 at 3:06PM
Just putting my 351C back in the car, considering adding the oil modification to the rear port of the block. Can someone link me to this idea and instructions. I searched for it and could not find the same......Thanks
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2020 at 3:30PM
i wouldn't waste my time, or yours. the external line originated with the Hank The Crank system, it consisted of an internal oil manifold pipe and several Tees tapped through the lifter galley and into the bulkhead passages that feed the main bearings. there's also an oil filter adapter block that i've never seen pics, diagrams or drawings of to show how that works, and what appears to be the external line that stills clings to life

i have no idea what that is mounted in the fuel pump location

todays external line is just a remnant of the Hank The Crank system, consensus is it can help, doesn't do Censored or can't hurt. don't sweat getting your engine in w/o it, you can always put an external line on any time, at the risk of an external oil leak. around the same time the big race teams were installing lifter bore sleeves with restrictor orifices limiting the amount of oil to the lifter itself. this effective created the same oil manifold pipe using the existing lifter oil galley in the block. they kept this very quiet because it worked and made the difference between winning a race or blowing up the motor

it's been said by Dan Jones that with this lifter bore sleeve mod and a standard oil pump,
the engine is able to make "almost too much oil pressure" BooYah GYSOT !

Edited by Rockatansky - 17-August-2020 at 12:24PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2020 at 3:41PM
oh, the do nothing external line plumbs from the threaded port near the fuel pump (direct tap off the oil pump) and runs to the rear threaded port. some guys drill that very small passage oversize but IMO that's overkill for a plan that does little besides making your oil pressure gauge read pump output pressure rather than pressure at the back of the engine. pretty much like an idiot light

Edited by Rockatansky - 16-August-2020 at 10:43PM
72 GT Ute

Rivercrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2020 at 6:41PM
All is good, thanks for the info.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2020 at 1:39AM
Thanks for that detailed review. I knew the external line was unneeded for typical rpm's and the common restrictors drilled were helpful. But I hadn't gotten the lifter restrictor conclusion before. I thought that also was for very high rpm's.

Given that I would look into the cost of the lifter restrictors if I was after say 7000rpm or so. That system sounds like a perfect solution to the excessive oil going to the lifter galley. Cool.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2020 at 3:21PM
i see the need as not only an rpm issue but also a matter of how much time is spent at an elevated rpm. think of the pedal on the right as the 'drain my oil pan' pedal. most racers throw up the 7k threshold but they only see that rpm for a few seconds. maybe there's enough oil in the pan that they never uncover the pick-up within their parameters, hold the loud pedal down for a highway blast and what might happen? 

sure the stock oiling system must be good for some rpm above stock redline whatever that is, but how much? do i want to find out the $ way?
to me the lifter bore bushings are a 1 mod done / i'm never going to run out of oil in the pan cheap insurance policy

another point is that some roller lifters are happy in Windsor motors but align the oil holes in a Cleveland block and flow oil to the top like the Deepwater Horizon blow-out. bushings in the block allow the use of any lifter. with .060" orifices the engine can make oil psi with no lifters installed!

the only downside is the entry fee, about $400 to get started, but on a budget you can bush only the 1 side that feeds the mains and the kit does 2 blocks. install the Moroso / Roush restrictor in the rear main saddle for the other side. and the tooling is super hot on the resale market, you'll have no trouble getting some $ back if you don't want to keep them around
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 2:25AM
That sounds reasonable, not cheap but wise. I never pushed my Cleveland's past 6k or so and that was always briefly. My 4V I had the smaller holes drilled and restrictors in, but not the lifter bushings. That was not a thing as I recall in 1980 or so. I call this great news for Cleveland owners, the oiling system has always been the main thing to worry about, plus the thin cylinder walls.

I'll tell a friend of mine also, he's the one that got me into cars and had Cleveland engines before that. He loves high rpm.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
 Post Reply Post Reply