The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine accessory drives and serpentine belts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mgnostic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine accessory drives and serpentine belts
    Posted: 24-September-2020 at 5:34PM
I recently bought a 72 Ranchero that has been swapped from a 351 to a 460. The engine is supposed to have come from a 73 Lincoln and the appearance and emissions stickers on the engine are consistent with that. The alternator has been replaced but I'm pretty sure that the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor are original to the engine. The pump leaks and the compressor has been disconnected for the better part of a decade. I knew those things were going to need attention when i bought the car. 

Is it possible to bolt on the serpentine drive brackets and accessories from a 90's era 460 onto my 73 460?

I know I can get an aftermarket kit but I'm not really into the bling. I'm really more interested in the lighter, more compact and newer components. 

Any thoughts?
Mgnostic
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 2:20AM
Yes, you should have no trouble using the later parts. But it will have to include the later water pump because the WP pulley matches the direction of the belt and WP. The smooth WP pulley runs the WP in reverse compared to older ribbed WP pulleys.

The accessories will have to match the later brackets etc, so you may also be swapping the alternator, PS pump and AC compressor. That shouldn't be a bad thing, many of the older accessories are harder to buy.

Check to be sure the crank pulley has the same depth on both engines, I'm not sure if the balancer of old versus late were the same in depth etc. I think they are but I have no idea.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Mgnostic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mgnostic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 5:11AM
Thanks for the heads up on the water pump and the crank pulley. When I find a parts motor my plan is to just pull everything off the front of the engine and work from there. 
Mgnostic
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 5:16AM
Sounds cool. It should be very straight forward once you get a look at both sets of parts. Then it'll be details like wiring of a different alternator, or the compressor lines etc. You'll get it all on the old engine and then work out those bugs.

I'm trying to do something similar for my Cleveland, but those never had any late model choices. I'll see if I can make an adapter to locate late model 302 brackets on the Cleveland heads. That will be interesting.

Post some pictures when you get into it, others will like the idea and options for their 429/460's.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 10:59AM
460's never came with reverse rotation water pump. So that can be taken out of the equation, makes things a bit easier.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 11:08AM
Just an FYI. The Lincoln PS pump(Saginaw) is the BEST pump available for the stock brackets, bar none. The A6 compressor, is said to be the BEST A/C compressor ever created and still in use today. There are aftermarket compressors that almost exactly replace this compressor, I use one and it works great with no line changes. If the A/C-PS main brackets are from a Lincoln Mark series('75/'76 T-bird as well), the engine and accessories is a direct bolt-in with the Mark series engine mounts(or similar intermediate 429-460 mounts), if they are Lincoln Continental or Mercury Grand Marquis brackets they will tend to push the A/C compressor too far backward and the rear of the compressor and/or lines hit the drivers side upper control arm. Hope this helps  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply