The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on Replacing Oil Pump & Pick-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on Replacing Oil Pump & Pick-up
    Posted: 09-October-2020 at 3:16AM
I needed to treat some minor rust and oil seepage on the oil pan. Removed pan, cleaned / blasted & have repainted. While pan was off, I decided to replace the oil pump & pickup with a Melling standard volume pump, Melling pickup and heavy duty driveshaft. I will be priming the pump prior to installation.

My question: Once installed, is it absolutely necessary to remove distributor to prime the oil pump at this point? I obviously drained the oil before all of this, and as stated above will prime the pump in a pan of clean oil before installation. Since I didn't do any other work on the engine I was thinking I really do not want to remove the distributor to prime the pump again.

Comments appreciated - thanks
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2020 at 4:00AM
If you use the starter to prime the engine just remember it can take 45 to 60 seconds for the pump to prime.
Do you want to run your bearings all most dry for that long?
It will prime but will lower the lifetime of your engine.
Greg

Greg
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2020 at 4:11AM
For a new engine I would say pull the dist, but it's not a big deal for a used engine.

You should though take the oil pump apart, look over the gears carefully, and coat them very lightly with assembly lube. That will keep oil inside the pump during the install and first start up. The key is you don't want the pump to be empty and dry, priming the pump is very tough if it's dry.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2020 at 4:43AM
Good point, didn't think about coating pump internals with assembly lube. And....excellent point on the bearings - distributor will now come off. Thanks for the insight!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2020 at 5:26AM
Go very slow installing the distributor after priming the pump, that is easy to get it off one tooth.

Stabbing the distributor is the only tough part, often the pump drive shaft doesn't engage the dist, without rotating it out of time with the cam gear. So turn the crank to true TDC before trying to put the distributor back in, and go slow feeling the gears and shaft engage.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2020 at 4:30PM
IMO if you 'backfill' the new pump by pouring a small amount of oil down into the body and at least partially (because they mount at an angle),

fill the new filter with oil you'll be fine w/o disturbing the distributor.

Edited by Rockatansky - 11-October-2020 at 2:54AM
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2020 at 12:54PM
You will be totally fine without priming the pump. You could unplug the ignition coil and give it a few cranks before giving it a full run if you're worried. Obviously, if the dummy light on the dash doesn't go off after a few seconds after it starts, shut it down and figure out what's going on.
-Billy Conturo
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2020 at 1:23PM
when you change the oil, there is a moment or two where there is no oil pressure. if you prime the pump/wet the internals with oil, it will suck up oil and be no different than an oil change, bearings and cam already covered with oil, just low pressure for a moment.
A "dry" pump may be an issue...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2020 at 11:23PM
Thanks again everyone, just finishing up on some other odds and ends before buttoning it all up. Smile

1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
 Post Reply Post Reply