The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ride Height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote closetwino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ride Height
    Posted: 08-December-2020 at 10:36AM
Hi everyone,

68 Ranchero, I felt like the front was siting a little low. Decided to measure from the center of wheel to fender lip. I know that this s not always the best choice but it is a start.
Drivers Front   23 inches
Pass. Front      23.75 inches
Drivers Rear    24.25 inches
Pass. Rear       24.25 Inches

So when I look at the front head on it looks lower on the Drivers side. Had the front tires off the other day and notice like the coils have been cut.

Does anyone want to post up measurements of the their car, would really appreciate it. Oh, I have 215/75/14 tires on it right now. Will be adding some 17's I a couple of days.
Thank you in advance.
68 Ford Ranchero 302 Auto
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2020 at 2:46PM
Hi,
Saw your pic in the 'welcome mat' post and it looks a bit low in front to standard 68/69 stance.  My front is just under 25" front and rear a bit over 23" on pass side. Springs are original to the car and suspect a bit of sag in rear leafs after 50+ years.  Small block, so maybe not as much sag in front I'd guess.  These bodies tended to have a high front low rear rake even when looking at old period pics.  215 70R 14's

Edited by schufitz - 08-December-2020 at 2:59PM
Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB
closetwino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote closetwino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2020 at 3:44PM
Thanks for the reply and info. When I saw the coils, could tell right away that they had been cut. Had been suspecting them jus ton how she rides, even told the wife I thin the coils have been cut sum. I like the rake but not the ride quality, going to be ordering some new springs with a 1 inch drop.

Nice ride by the way!
68 Ford Ranchero 302 Auto
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2020 at 4:26PM
yeah i saw your pic... and was thinking to myself ...hmm add some 17" chrome 5 spoke torq thrust style wheels would just set that car offWinkThumbs Up a buddy here locally has a 69 gt fastback torino that he meticulously restored to original, but was always disappointed he hadn't ever won a trophy with it... i told him it just looks too plain and people don't realize the work to make it original that he should change the wheels! and it doesn't alter it from stock that couldn't be change back to original in a few minutes by putting the original gt wheels back on if he wanted to Wink well last year he did just that and it totally changed the look and he did in fact win a trophy with it, i told him see!!! he agreed Wink

actually i need to try and get his car featured on brock's garageWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply