The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C6 interchange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C6 interchange
    Posted: 03-January-2021 at 9:41AM
Would it be correct to assume that as long as the bolt pattern is correct for the engine, all 2wd C6 should interchange? Only differences I could think of would be Speedo gear tooth count, and lever setup from ‘66-‘96?

Frank
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 10:01AM
There are tail housing changes and with that the output shaft length changes as well as type of yokes used, you also have to consider mounting points as well. Long tail shaft C6's use 2 individual mounts, whereas most other C6's use a single 2 bolt(on cross member and on transmission-so actually a total of 4 bolts and/or fasteners) trans mount. I would stick to the '70 and later model C6's due to changes in valve body and vacuum modulator designs. So the short answer is NO, not really, need to be careful with measurements and/or model type of C6 you choose. Hope this helps.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 10:31AM
Thanks for the info..I figured there would be more changes, but after scouring the interwebs, couldn’t come up with anything besides bell housing differences. 

I’m planning on finding a core C6 to rebuild, so the car will be down for a minimum amount of time. Haven’t been in one yet, but the E4OD I be built wasn’t bad, so it should be fun..

Would you happen to have any insight on what application of vehicle to look for? Haven’t gotten the car yet, so I’m not sure how it’s set up. ‘73 Q code Torino 

Thanks for the insights!

Frank
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 11:11AM
column shift can have cable mount bosses on the bell
72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 12:19PM
Originally posted by Bueller Bueller wrote:

Thanks for the info..I figured there would be more changes, but after scouring the interwebs, couldn’t come up with anything besides bell housing differences. 

I’m planning on finding a core C6 to rebuild, so the car will be down for a minimum amount of time. Haven’t been in one yet, but the E4OD I be built wasn’t bad, so it should be fun..

Would you happen to have any insight on what application of vehicle to look for? Haven’t gotten the car yet, so I’m not sure how it’s set up. ‘73 Q code Torino 

Thanks for the insights!

Frank
Could have a 4 speed, if so forget about the C6
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 12:23PM
No, it’s a 351C C6 car..just hasn’t come home yet.

Frank
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 5:58PM
When you find a transmission, go through it and replace the clutch packs and maybe the planetary gears depending on how much power you are pushing to the wheels. The C6 group on farcebook has plenty of good info for brand names that they swear by and mods to make them bulletproof(to a point).
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2021 at 6:39PM
Yes, sir..planning on 4-6 steel pinion planetaries, upping clutch count, rollerizing, shift kit and whatever other stuff I can do make it last with whatever HP will be thrown at it at some point 👍🏻

Didn’t realize there’s a C6 page..headed over there meow!

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply