The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1968 390 gt oil leaks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkluesner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2021 at 8:38AM
It's disc up front and drum in the back. The MC looks the same, other than the top cap is grey and not gold colored like the original. I'll try and find an older pic to double check. 
1968 Torino GT 390 hardtop
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2021 at 8:43AM
or it had the wrong master on it?

72 GT Ute

jkluesner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkluesner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2021 at 11:33AM
Hello all, 

All brake lines have been replaced (with copper) other than the two tight curved lines on the proportional valve. The person I had do the lines said they are not able to make those tight of bends without breaking the lines. I contacted inline tube and they will only sell me the kit for the whole car, not the two small lines needed. 

Any suggestions or does anybody know where I could find these? Perhaps I could tell them I don't care how it looks (I had them bend all the others to match the stock paths) and maybe they could do a big loop or something. 

Also, anybody have any tricks to remove stubborn water spots from original paint from 1968? haha 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2021 at 12:07PM
Those must be mighty tight bends to be trouble to replicate. If there is room nearby, I'd just make then use more space, even turn them away and loop them back. The radius of the bends is the issue I'm sure.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
jkluesner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkluesner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2021 at 3:07PM
Yeah, you can see the tight bends on the image I posted earlier in the thread. they are tight. I think I will just go with a more indirect path to get them done. The car is so stock that I think the guy was hesitant to try and do those. 
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2021 at 1:35AM
The tight bends can be done , just takes a little time and work it slow. I have used a deep well socket to help make it without kinking the tubbing . I think they also make a pair of pliers to help make tight bends. The copper line should be easy to work with being softer.
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2021 at 1:18PM
Are you talking about the lines between the Master cylinder and the Proportioning valve? Do yours have vibration loops in them (small individual coils)?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
jkluesner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkluesner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 10:07AM
OK, all lines have been replaced, even the small ones around the proportional valve. Now my only issue is the master cylinder leaks out of the cap, and it's a new MC. I have tried repositioning it, bending the bar to clamp down harder, and it still leaks. I just ordered a new cap and gasket so I am hoping this will help, however it does seem like the MC surface is a little pitted so maybe I am wasting my time. 

Also-- anybody have a good go to setup for polishing the original single stage paint? The paint is really in pretty amazing shape, however there are spots of oxidation and some water spots I would love to be able to remove. I am a bit hesitant to dive in as I don't want to remove too much while doing this.  
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 2:27PM
i'd try Meguiar's Cleaner Wax first, it's pretty harmless but works a treat

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-cleaner-wax-a1216-16-oz-liquid
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2021 at 2:19AM
That's odd with the master cylinder leak.  How badly is it leaking out?  It shouldn't require much to seal up. Maybe you are right that the sealing surface is too pitted.

For the paint restoration, I have used this guys method before.  It is a lot of work, but it does work very well.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
jkluesner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkluesner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2021 at 4:16AM
Turns out it was the cap that came with the new MC. I ordered a new one (bronze colored) and it had the correct fit and the leak stopped. Finally, no more brake fluid leaks! 

Also put on some new kicks (radial T/A) and she is driving great again. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2021 at 4:42AM
Very good, now drive the tires off of it.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12