The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starsky suspension help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starsky suspension help
    Posted: 10-March-2021 at 1:27PM
Hi I recently inherited my fathers 74 Gran Torino Sport and need suggestions for lifting the suspension to give it that starsky and hutch stance. Right now it sits pretty low due to old spring sag and I need some recommendations for what to get. I want it’s stance to be as close to the S&H car as I can get so any help is much appreciated.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2021 at 10:03PM
 welcome!
 i used these 1.5" aluminum coil spring spacers on the top of my springs
1.5" Rear Coil Spring Spacer Lift Kit Thunderbird Cougar Montego Galaxie Torino
 also you can check out the coils spring thread on here too...
 some guys used station wagon springs... we tried a set in my buddy's car it raised it some maybe an inch or two Confused
  but these spacers and 1/2 a coil cut in the front with 50 series front tires gave me the rake i wanted

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2021 at 3:07PM
78 Mark V springs (NOT cargocoil) raised the back of my Thunderbird a good 2" above stock.
Sits like California Johnnys, with plenty of room for 255/70 15 tires
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2021 at 3:13AM
I used Moog CC803 in the rear and Moog CVPI up front. KYB-XELG shocks  15" wheels all around and smaller tires up front.  There's pictures of the stance in the suspension thread and in the 76 Gran Torino Fun  string. got the ride and handling I wanted with that setup. 
Steve M.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2021 at 9:56AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2021 at 9:53PM
Here's mine.... wagon springs and 15" tires in the rear and CVPI springs and 14" tires up front.

She is a bit high but I'll wait until I get the car reassembled to see if the rest of the components brings it down where I want it.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
the_waywrd_way-76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_waywrd_way-76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2023 at 11:56AM
also new to the forum I'm building a starsky GT. your picture shows some pretty big wheels in the back what size are you running currently I have 10 inch wheels with 275-60/15s stretched on them even though they fit under the well they rub on hard bumps.
what's the point in being grown up, if you cant be childish sometimes.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2023 at 10:56PM
Originally posted by the_waywrd_way-76 the_waywrd_way-76 wrote:

also new to the forum I'm building a starsky GT. your picture shows some pretty big wheels in the back what size are you running currently I have 10 inch wheels with 275-60/15s stretched on them even though they fit under the well they rub on hard bumps.

Wayward, yep, using a 10" wheel you will experience lip rub. On my LE back in the day I had 10" ET's with LR60-15 Goodyear's and if my air shocks weren't up all the way, the lip would hit the sidewall leaving a little cut along the path.

I'm currently using 8.5x15 American Racing slots on my tribute build with 275/60-15 Cooper Cobra's and no air shocks this go around.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Dino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2023 at 8:46AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Here are some threads that might be helpful:

My car is the last in this thread. Suspension and wheel details are listed.
 Post Reply Post Reply