The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannys73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Problem
    Posted: 01-February-2009 at 9:20AM
I have a 1977 Ranchero with 351 W, was my dad's.  It has been sitting a while.  Was running great when I parked it.  I am trying to get it ready to give to my Nephew---I don't need another project and want to get it running for him.  I could keep it running by adding gas to the carburetor when priming it the other day.  I just never could get it to run by itself...I don't know if fuel pump is operational or not or if I have some other issue I am not thinking about.  I pulled the fuel filter (the one located on the carb) and it was dry as a bone.  This tells me that the fuel was not making it from the tank to the carb.  Should I start with fuel line or fuel pump.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
1973 GTS Q Code Cobrajet w/ 4 Speed
haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2009 at 1:50PM
Sounds like fuel pump, but here is what I would do.
Make sure there is gas in the tank, add 5 gallons of fresh gas to dilute old gas.
Disconnect fuel line at the pump, the line from the frame to pump, using a hand vacuum pump, hook it to the fuel line and get fuel to come from the tank to the vacuum pump.
Once you know gas is coming up to the pump, re install the line to the pump.
Disconnect the line from the inlet of carb filter, crank the engine, and after a few revolutions of the motor, you should see gas coming through. Crank the engine 6-8 times with no gas, and it probably is the pump.
Before starting all this, make sure the line from the frame to the pump is not cracked, broken or kinked. A cracked line here and the pump will only suck air, no gas.
Hope this helps.
Andy
dannys73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannys73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2009 at 2:17PM
Thanks Andy.  I will be working on it again on 2/14 so I will definitely try that.  I have been out of the "mechanic saddle" for a while and needed a refresher.  If it turns out that fuel line is blocked would it be best to replace or clean out?
Danny
haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2009 at 3:54PM
I would definitely try cleaning a clogged line, disconnect both ends, send some cleaning fluids in and use compressed air to blow it clean....hope everything works out.
Andy

Love them ranchero's!
dannys73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannys73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2009 at 12:43PM
Thanks Andy.  It took exactly 15 minutes to get her cranked and running.  Starts at the bump of the switch now like it use to.  Guess I didn't have enough gas for the fuel pump to pull.  Had a little trash in fuel lines too.  Used a cheap suction device from O'reillys to pull gas at carburetor fuel line from tank as well as addition of 5 gallons of gas.  Helped out the fuel pump.  Have a good one.
 Post Reply Post Reply