The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PVC question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PVC question
    Posted: 28-April-2021 at 9:13AM
Hi all I have a 69 S code Ranchero ( GT390 FE)  i have just finished I have a issue one the passenger side valve cover. one of the rockers is hitting the baffle . The engine has PRW roller rockers. My idea to resolve this is to cut out the portion of the baffle that is hitting. My concern is oil getting into the PVC valve. My thought is to get another Ford oil cap that had the breather tube and remove the tube and put a pvc valve in its place . Will that work to help keep oil from getting sucked in the pvc valve . 

I wish i could just put in some taller valve covers but as you know with a brake booster on the other side that becomes problematic .  

I have no clearance issues on the drivers side in the baffle . I am using the stock chrome powered by ford valve covers . 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2021 at 7:35PM
hmm... both heads and valve covers should be the same? some fords had a breather with the pcv in the top of the breather idk if those will fit your cover??? also aren't the baffles a flat piece inside? you may be able to dent that area slightly with a hammer to gain the needed clearance without cutting the baffle??? just a couple ideas...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2021 at 11:45PM
I used the method Californiajohnny did and the rockers cleared the baffle.  No more rocker tapping noise.. Also, you can install E7TE head valve covers from the later ford 302 to 351W heads.. They have raised areas for the breather and pcv valve locations rather than the older 302 heads because the rockers were different for those model years.
TJ White View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2021 at 7:52AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

hmm... both heads and valve covers should be the same? some fords had a breather with the pcv in the top of the breather idk if those will fit your cover??? also aren't the baffles a flat piece inside? you may be able to dent that area slightly with a hammer to gain the needed clearance without cutting the baffle??? just a couple ideas...

Yes they both have the same baffle I did beat down the wider area where is was hitting even more than i I Had before I hope that works . My main question was would using a ford breather cap on that side removing the hose attachment on the top of it and installing a PVC valve work to keep oil from getting sucked into the PVC valve if i cut the baffle out completely ?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2021 at 10:09AM
It would be better off with some larger device outside the VC for oil separation, a PCV is tiny and wouldn't help for that. The PCV just creates a limit of the flow, they come with varying amounts of restriction.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2021 at 6:26PM
idk it could depend on a few variables... like high revving, high miles with lots of compression blow by, high volume pump really slinging the oil up there...
 i had one vehicle (well actually still have it) that constantly had oil seeping out around the filler cap where the fresh air entered the system...it has a baffle down on the side of the lower block(so air is actually drawn through the crankcase and not just across the  valvecover like most inline engines) so i figured it was probably plugged with crud from over the years??? so i torn it down and had it hot tanked, bored all new heavy duty internals so it would be tight and freshWink well it still did that Shocked
one day many years ago i was working on it out in the driveway... decided to mess with the PCV ( it's between 2 hoses, one from that baffle then the pcv then another hose to the intake) realizing its stupid to keep walking back to the garage for more tools... i started it up and drove it closer... remembering the large vacuum hose was disconnected Shocked it shouldn't have idled at all but did just fine like normalConfused well that hose barb faces 45 degrees toward the valve cover and is cast aluminum as part of the carb baseplate adapterConfused not wanting to remove it i decided to bend a wire to poke in the hole, nope it was plugged solid with old carbon! thus no vacuum leak with the hose off!!! so i took a small drill bit and turned it by hand then using larger bits until it was cleaned out, hasn't seeped oil sinceThumbs Up
 btw ya'll don't be laughing at my little 2300 pinto engine, and if you pull up next to me at the light, don't rev your engine unless you're prepared to maybe walk homeWinkLOL just sayin'LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply