The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to the forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cougar Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the forum
    Posted: 05-June-2021 at 9:18AM
Just acquired a 1974 Gran Torino. 351 2 barrel. It had been sitting for about 10 years. Took the gas tank out and had it cleaned, replaced the fuel pump and filters, changed oil and filter, fixed a few wires that were chewed up by pack rats and proceeded to start the old girl. Use a jumper wire to the coil and it started up and ran but the lifters were noisy so i grabbed the jumper wire and it shut off. I put some marvel mystery oil in the crankcase and now it wont start. I've replaced the ignition module and the transducer. It cranks but there is no spark at the plugs. Any ideas would be appreciated. My other vehicles are a 1968 Cougar XR7. A 1986 Ford Bronco, a 1986 Turbo Coupe and my daily driver, a 2015 mustang turbo 4 with a 6 speed.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2021 at 12:42AM
Welcome to the forum! I have upgraded you to a full member so you have full forum privileges. What ignition does your car have? Is it Dura Spark II or the solid state ignition? What colour was the wire strand on the ignition module? Ford used several ignition setups during the 70s and I don't want to assume you is stock. Many 1974 351s still used a points ignition. 

Try posting the question in the 1972_76 technical forum for more answers.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Cougar Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cougar Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2021 at 4:14AM
It is electronic ignition. No points. The color of the wires are green, black,orange, purple, red and white. Thanks for the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply