The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '68 Torino 390GT photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My '68 Torino 390GT photos
    Posted: 19-June-2021 at 11:02AM
After my introduction a few days ago, here's a few photos of the Torino I purchased last fall.  I've included the Marti report.  I know there's a specific forum just for these but can't find it again.   I will keep searching....Smile
“Speed costs....how fast do you want to spend?”
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2021 at 1:16PM
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.  There is a sub-forum I believe that goes by year.  68-69 Ford and Mercury.
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2021 at 1:18PM
Thanks.  I’m still working my way around the forum 
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2021 at 1:19PM
   What is the deal with the rusty master cylider?  

LOL
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2021 at 1:47PM
I like to think of it as “patina”  Smile

That’s on the list of “cosmetic refurbishment”.  
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2021 at 8:32PM
nice!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2021 at 1:19AM
That's in great shape, yes very nice. Welcome.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
BigBlock Jed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlock Jed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2021 at 4:47AM
Nice looking car! I too am a new member (yesterday) and am learning how to navigate. As soon as my "techy" wife shakes free, I'm going to try to upload some pics. I see you have a '69 steering wheel in your April build 1968 car but has the black faced '68 gauges. My late April build car has both a '69 wheel AND '69 silver faced gauges. Am curious if anyone knows if this was Ford switching over to the to the '69 model year and they had run out of the steering wheels and then the gauges? Or, did a previous owner want to "upgrade" their cars to try and look more like the newer model?
BigBlock Jed 68
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2021 at 5:22AM
Thanks Jed.  I wasn’t aware of the ‘69 wheel.  Is it the pad that distinguishes this from a ‘68?  The wheel itself has been replaced by a new one from Eckler’s but have to use the pad as these are unobtanium. 

The pad itself is in fair condition but the plastic trim that runs around the inner edge is broken.  It will work for now until I can find a replacement.

My car had a ‘69 clock in the dash.  When I removed the dash pad, it wasn’t connected and discovered the motor was non-functioning.  Solenoid issue I believe.  I found an original ‘68 clock and installed a quartz motor on that so now the dash is complete.  This clock has a broken bracket on the motor so couldn’t be repaired.  I may repair the ‘69 clock one day.

I’ve repaired a number of issues on the car; new wiper motor, new headlight switch, panel bulbs, head lights, tires, rear brakes, reverse light switch.  This last one involved dismantling the switch, cleaning the contacts and springs and reassembly.  The original problem was my reverse lights did not function yet the neutral safety switch did.  Works great now.  These switches are not reproduced and the ones that are available are NOS and expensive.

Fun project so far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlock Jed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2021 at 6:05AM
I don't know if they change the actual wheel from 68 to 69 or just the pad. The 68's have a very sim liar pad as a 68 Mustang. A big "blocky" looking thing. Pads for both years are not available as far as I've been able to find. I do find the 69 wheel a bit more comfortable to drive than the big 68 pad.  I do have a 68 black faced cluster that I will restore and install. My car has a "non-functioning clock" in it that I will remove and put my old Autometer tach in that hole like my original 68 had back in the 70's.  Hoping there are people on this forum that know way more than me so I can become better informed!
BigBlock Jed 68
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2021 at 9:36AM
I believe the actual wheels are the same as the have the same horn ring, just different pads.  69 also had a rim blow horn option that had a 3-spoke wheel. 

68 wheel pad

69 wheel pad

69 rim blow horn wheel

Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlock Jed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2021 at 11:51AM
Thanks for the great pictures! See, I'm smarter already!  I checked my files and my Torino was built on April 20th, 1968. A pretty late one  8K42S190???  is the Vin
BigBlock Jed 68
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2021 at 12:24PM
Only 18 days and ~10000 cars between ours, Jerry.  Cool :)
trooper8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trooper8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2022 at 8:28AM
Very nice! I'm also working on a '68. Could you post photos of your side windows where they meet? Fully up, and partially down? 

I'm trying to find and install the "whistle stop" trim there. 

Many thanks! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlock Jed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2022 at 7:55AM
My car is currently being stored inside an enclosed trailer and in a cold storage warehouse. As soon as I get it out in the spring, I will surely post some pics unless someone beats me to it. JM

BigBlock Jed 68
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2022 at 6:50AM
Window photos
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2022 at 6:51AM
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2022 at 6:52AM
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2022 at 6:55AM
 Post Reply Post Reply